Best plants Vs Bees

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by pinzel51, Feb 22, 2006.

1. pinzel51

pinzel51 Member

Hello everyone ....

i know this sounds pretty impossible .... but this spring i have to find some flowers that will not attract bees ( or maybe nto flowers cuz i think bees are attracted to colors not smell) ....

my girlfriend is dead scared of bees ... and since leaving her is impossible and me stopping gardening is impossible .... i would love to find a middle ground ....

some nice flowers or plants that would not attract bees .... that way i can have fun planting them ... while my girlfriend can enjoy the balcony lol

thank you all for your wonderful help

Ulric

2. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Try going with a variety of succulents: sedums, sempervivum, aeoniums, etc... they'll flower, but not for long, and their main strength is in the beauty of their form, often floral in appearance. Some smaller grasses would probably work out as well (larger too...but you're on a balcony...)To the best of my knowledge, bees are primarily attracted to a nectar/pollen source by sight (i stand to be corrected). I'm not at all familiar with your zone, or what flowers when in your area, but you might have a number of early flowers available to you, that would bloom and be finished(ing) before the bees wake up in spring.