Beheaded Aloe

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Chungii V, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

I am writing this with tears streaming down my face......
    Okay maybe not quiet that bad but I am pretty bummed out at the sight that confronted me yesterday morning. One of my tree Aloes has lost it's head to rot.(see pics)
    It's Aloe bainesii, thankfully I also have a second specimen in a pot doing much better in a drier, hot spot in my yard.
    I have not over watered (it doesn't get watered) nor has it rained excessively it's been a mixture of humidity and overcast weather that's done this.
    I was wondering if anyone has dealt with these before and if it's likely to re-shoot?
    I have (as you can see by 2nd pic) removed all the leaves and exposed the rot. It seems to have dried today and the remaining trunk still feels very firm.
    In theory it should produce new growth but I've come to notice that's not always the case when put in practice, especially with succulents if cut in the wrong spot. I'll leave it be for now but wonder if I'm going have to remove it. Would it be worth taking out of the ground and potting it maybe?
    I am always looking for excuses to bring home more plants but this is one time I'd rather try save the plant than replace it. I know they will grow here it's just too surrounded I think, not getting enough air movement in that area. Boo!!! I think I know what I have to do but I don't want to move it.....

Attached Files:

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Well,

I had the same species of Aloe (gave it away to my sister) and I did have to cut the main trunk one year. I had it in a large container, but it became so large and top heavy, it was either get rid of the plant or give it a major pruning. Well, luckily it came back...and did it ever! I had at least 20 new branches off of the main trunk. I had it another 2 years before it, again, became to much to handle. I took some branch cuttings, made some new plants and gave them to friends and relatives. Their problem now!

As long as you've made a good, clean cut and removed the rot, it should recover.

Mark

3. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Cheers Mark you've given me hope. I've pruned the rot out, I might move it once it starts to shoot into a more open position to try stop it happening again.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2010
  4. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

I would cut to the ground, as this plant looks very mature for an aloe... it must have been quite stunning... the base roots if they are strong and healthy, new shoots should appear within weeks at the base...as it looks quite subtropical in the background, with the lovely Agave.

5. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

6. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Now that is amazing, I had no idea that your Aloe was of that family of giants! Perhaps the former approach that you would take, may allow for the branch formation? I take back my suggestion of cutting to the soil surface.