Appreciation: 'Beautiful companions': Growing mushrooms brings life to lockdown

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Junglekeeper, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Enjoyable post and so relevant atm. There is always something to do as can be seen by the article. I have heard of a lot of people over here turning their hands to growing mushrooms among other things since the lockdown started in early 2020.

3. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Agreed - I think home mushroom cultivation is a great thing, happy to see it is trending largely.

The popularity has unfortunately brought out some snake oil salespeople, some individuals and companies selling bags of unknown stuff called "morel seeds" or claiming to provide Chanterelle spawn, as well as just bad product or not delivering anything at all. Happily there are reputable local companies in BC providing quality spawn and real instructions. Buy local!

4. allelopath

allelopath Well-Known Member 10 Years

5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

6. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

That's an interesting article. I was aware of successful morel cultivation in Chinese fields, but this seems to be the first practical method for indoor cultivation all year. It will be interesting to see if it results in significant commercial production. The article didn't say which morel species was being cultivated, but it does look similar to Morchella importuna, which is the main species grown in China.