Beat beets

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by soccerdad, May 24, 2020.

1. vitog

vitog Rising Contributor 10 Years

Sulev, perhaps it depends on the soil. My beets, grown in sandy, rocky soil (enriched with compost and fertilizer), have quite weak root systems but develop normal beetroots with ample green tops (often used as beet greens). They receive ample water during dry spells.

2. Sulev

Sulev Active Member

If to moisten consistently top layer of the sandy soil, then beet roots have no reason to go deep. So then these warped roots are not general property of beet root, but adaption to the environmental conditions you create. If that does not generate problems for you, then everything is ok.
    Here most of beet roots are grown in furrows. This way they get most of their moisture from deeper layers and roots are striving to grow deep.

3. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

The beets bit the dust. But no-longer-blooming flowers now offer me space for another attempt. If I use a floating row cover weighted down as the edges will I thwart the vole(s)?

4. Sulev

Sulev Active Member

I think that in current season voles have plenty of other food and will not attack beets. In my garden they tend to attack different crops at different seasons.