Bark splitting on Japanese maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Daniel Mosquin, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

I need your help regarding a dwarf japanese maple I planted here in Zone 5 on Oct. 18th. Recently the bark began to split open showing through to the inside which I know is bad. Is there a product to heal/protect it or is it hopeless.

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I wouldn't really suggest any products to attempt to heal/seal the wound. Normally a tree will encounter a problem (disease/physical damage) and attempt to compartmentalize the damage (refer to Alex Shigo - walls 1 through 4). This being said, the tree will attempt to stop the damage and control it, seal itself off as it were. All you can do is try to ascertain what happened or is happening, if it is still happening try to stop the cause. If it is a disease or pathogen all you can do is try to provide optimum growing conditions and wait it out. Sometimes the problem can be slowed by use of a pesticide but in general I would suggest you avoid this method as the effects are usually outweighed by the potential detriment to the environment etc.

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

if you have a picture of the damaged area please try to post it as someone here may be able to help identify the cause of the damage. The best sign on a split in the bark is the formation of callus rolls (aka rams horns) on the bark area which indicate the problem has been stopped and the healing (sealing) process has begun. For the record the term "healing" infers that the damaged tissue is replaced with healthy tissue, this does not happen in plants, the best term is probably "sealing" or "compartmentalizing" which does not infer tissue replacement but tissue damage containment.

4. aszasz

aszasz Member

I think my tree has a similar issue. I think the weight of the branches is applying torque to the trunk and splitting it. It seems healthy (the canopy is growing well) but I suspect the trunk will give out if we leave it as is. Is there anything that can be done?
    Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

5. LindaP

LindaP Member

I'll attach pictures of my miniature Japanese Maple. The Bark is peeling. It actually started last year (very hot year) so I wrapped the injured portion in duck tape but now there is more splits/peels. I live in Zone 14. This tree has been in the same location for about 10 years or so. Upon closer inspection is looks as if the top most leaves are more "scorched" than the lower ones.

HELP!

Thank you for any information.

Linda

Attached Files:

6. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Welcome, Looks bad, but a "Search" using the drop down box in the title bar above for "bark damage" and/or "rotten bark" may bring up some helpful info. Also, maybe the sticky thread "Japanese bark related issues" in this "Maple forum". www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=8751 Would try the "search" first for that problem. Wondering if the damage started on the areas most exposed to sun.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007