Bananas in Deer Country

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Reddy, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Reddy

Reddy Member

Anyone know if deer eat banana plants. Also, I've seen some beautiful banana 'groves' in the city and wonder if there are any tips for growing those luscious green leaves...my banana plant has yellow and brown spots on the leaves...It's in a pot on the deck, but I'd like to move it into the garden...

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Deer may eat smaller specimen of Musa basjoo or Musella lasiocarpa, two of the readily available banana here. I noticed a deer ravaged banana once on Gabriola Island. The deer had taken the leaf and left the center mid ribs for some reason. This created an odd spikey looking plant, still seemingly quite healthy.
    If you have one of the "hardy" banana plants it's eventually better off planted out. If deer are a real problem, cage it until it reaches a suitable size.
    Here's my grandson with Musa basjoo in our garden last August.

Cheers, LPN.

Attached Files:

3. Reddy

Reddy Member

thanks for the response. wow! what a beauty you have...yes, the banana I have is the musa basjoo...when yours was young did you blanket it in the winter? any particular planting condition: soil, drainage, sun etc that will make a difference. thanks again

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Small ones may need some mulching if temps go below -5°C (23°F) for much longer than a couple of days. Once the root mass bulks up such as the one in the above pic, nothing is needed. Micro prop plants tend to be weaker initially and may need mulching irregardless of winter low temps.
    Rich soil and a top dress of sea soil or composted steer manure in spring certainly helps. Routine fertilizer and watering when the weather warms. Minimum half day sun.

Cheers, LPN.