Banana unwrapping

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by palmera, Mar 7, 2007.

1. palmera

palmera Active Member

With the recent warming trend, today I decided to unwrap my 2 Musa clumps (Sikkimensis and Basjoo). I had enclosed them both with a wire cage filled with straw and a plastic cover. Both faired very well. The main 2-4 yr old stalks were a little slimy but otherwise healthy and green. The pseudostem of the Sikkimensis is very thick, close to 12". Some of the emerging pups had rotted partway or all the way down. These I cut off down to the green growth level. I should see some great height this year.

I had noticed signs of resident rodents, likely rats, that had formed tunnels in the straw. And although they did chew some of the plastic cover, fortunately they had not knawed on the plant material. I really do hate rats. Last fall while covering these bananas, I had a dozen rats jump out of the straw sack at me. Did I mention I hate rats? It wasn't a pretty scene.

So I do plan on watching the forecast for any sudden temperature dives and will be sure to toss a light cover on if it gets cold. I know many of you don't do any wrapping, but it would be nice to see some bananas one of these years.

2. DandyLioness

DandyLioness Active Member

YIKES about the rats!

Are these ornamental bananas that you're growing? Are they the ones that I've seen that are full of seeds?

I've been trying to germinate some banana seeds for quite awhile now - they are taking forever! I just checked and mine are Musa Velutina.

3. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I hope all the rats are long gone by the time I show up with my shovel ... or they'll see the back side of it. hahaha!

Cheers, LPN.

4. palmera

palmera Active Member

Fortunately, now that the weather has warmed, I have seen neither hide nor hair (literally) of them. You should be safe Barrie!

As for the edible possibilities...the Basjoo is most definately for ornamental purposes, but the Sikkimensis should have edible fruit. I will let you know if I have a crop to try!

5. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have some Musa itinerans to plant this spring. Word amongst the "exotics" community is that this hardy one produces an edible fruit. We shall see soon enough.

Cheers, LPN.