Bamboo Tree in Southern Ontario

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by Luncius, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Luncius

Luncius Member

Being residents in Richmond Hill (about 100km north from Toronto downtown), we are looking for the type of BAMBOO TREE that could grow in this climate.

We heard about black bamboo tree. Can it survive our winter?

Where is the closest bamboo nursery for us?

Thanks in advance.

Luncius

2. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

Black bamboo, Phyllostachys nigra, is probably not winter-hardy in your area.

The most bullet-proof winter-hardy bamboo I've ever grown is Fargesia robusta. It does well in shade but also tolerates sun pretty well in the north.

Some of the Phyllostachys are hardier than nigra, and they grow taller and spread more vigorously than Fargesia, which is a clump-forming genus. But in my experience the Phyllostachys need some degree of extra care over winter to keep them from dying back nearly to the ground. (Once they get established, you can just let them die back in severe winters -- they'll put out strong new shoots in spring. But you need to wait a couple of years until they develop strong, mature root systems.)

I love growing bamboo in the north. It really stands out in the landscape and goes very well with other plants, like maples and conifers, that naturally grow here.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I've seen black bamboo damaged by a hard winter in northwest WA state (USDA 8).

4. Luncius

Luncius Member

Thanks Kaspian,

Your sharing is very informative to me, a rookie in bamboo tree planting.

Being a novice and all, I like the bullet-proof winter-hardy bambooFargesia robustathat you described. Beside, if Fargesia could survive your Maine climate (zone 5), most likely it could survive our Toronto climate!

How does it look, buddy? Golden green or black-brownish green? How tall could Fargesia grow (or rather, how tall is your Fargesia now, Kaspian?) And do you know how far or wide Fargesia spreads? I guess it follows that how deep a garden edge is required without letting the Fargesia intruding our neighbors?

Yes indeed, when we moved from British Columbia to Toronto years ago, my mother still missed the graceful golden bamboo there (a much milder West Coast climate)! I agree that bamboo does stand out in the landscape and goes very well with other plants.

Thanks again, Kaspian, you have been as helpful as youre encouraging.