Bamboo Palm???

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Tom24, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Tom24

Tom24 Active Member

I got this Palm in September after my Dad past away from my Mom and it was in bad shape her cat got into it, but my question is it a Bamboo palm or is it a cat palm. Here is a few pics of it. My Girlfriend thinks its a bamboo mixed with a cat palm.
    Thank you in advance.

Tom24

Attached Files:

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Could be a Chamaedorea seifrizii, Bamboo Palm, but what is a cat palm, Tom??

Ed

3. Tom24

Tom24 Active Member

Its the same thing as a Parlor Palm.

Tom24

4. edleigh7

More than likely a Parlor Palm, as my bamboo palm, when it got to that height, the stems already resembled bamboo, but mine is in full sun, whereas this one doesn't...Someone else may have a different opinion though...

Ed

5. sudbury

sudbury Active Member

I agree. It is a Chamaedorea elegans - Parlour Palm. I have one that looks identical from the pictures. I think that it is unlikely that they would mix the two species (bamboo palm and parlour palm). Like I said, it looks like mine that is just the parlour palm. Hope that helps. :)

6. Tom24

Tom24 Active Member

Thank you ED and Sudbury for the advice, I am wondering how tall does a parlor palm get? Do they grow a trunk or are they more of a bushy palm. Mine seem to have four clumbs of about 10 and it seems the bigger of the ten are taking over the smaller of them. Should I seperate the four clumbs into four pots? Or would I just kill them. They are in a 5 gallon pot in filtered sun. Sudbury Do you have any pics or yours?

Thank you in advance,

Tom24

7. sudbury

sudbury Active Member

Tom24,
    Its really going to stay about the same size as a bushy clumped palm. Ive had mine for about two years and the only real difference is that some of the smaller individual plants in the pot have slowly died off, which didn't really have an effect on the others. It grows fine in clumps like that. I wouldn't risk dividing it, since it could damage the plant and I think it looks better in a clump anyway. Here are a couple pics of mine:

(I put it beside the chair just to show the relative size)

Attached Files:

8. Tom24

Tom24 Active Member

Sudbury do you use just standard palm food on them? I also was wondering if you could help me Identify this other palm? I put pics of them below the second pic is of my Sabel minor and the first third and fourth is of what I think might be of my two Cabbage palms but I am not sure they have a blueish greenish tint to them and they are starting to have a fan looking frond. Unless they are a different species of sabel.

Thank you in advance,

Tom24

Attached Files:

9. sudbury

sudbury Active Member

To feed the palms I just use normal miracle grow dissolving fertilizer about once a month and they seem to be doing fine. Occasionally I might throw in a bit of rich composted soil. However, Im not sure about what type of palm that is. Its hard to say when they are young like that.

10. edleigh7

Tom they are too small for me to id, anyway. May have to wait till they form proper or full leaves...

Ed