Bad Reaction to Pyracantha Thorns

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by mrscornett, May 7, 2009.

1. mrscornett

mrscornett Member

I am looking for information on how to treat a two year wound from a pyracantha thorn which will not heal. The thorn was embedded too deep to be detected at the time and was not removed until several months after the incident. I have seen dermatologists, infections disease doctors and plastic surgeons, none of whom have been able to identify the problem. The various medications, oral and topical, antibiotics and anti-viral drugs, which they have prescribed have failed to work.

I hope someone who has had experience with this problem can offer a diagnosis and effective treatment.

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I've been stabbed by Firethorns so many times I've lost count, and I've also had thorns embedded in me from strange tropical plants. The only thing I've ever found that actually heals the wound is called Sangre de Drago; it's the sap of the tree Croton eleuteria. I have no idea how you'd go about finding it in Texas; here I just go to the tree and make a little wound in the bark.

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

4. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Are you positive that they got all of it out? If just a wee bit has been left behind the wound may not heal. Praps your surgeon needs to reopen it and have a thorough ferret around. Just a thought.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

My thought too. And a real surgeon, not a plastic one!