Autumn leaf coloration changes

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by jamkh, Nov 10, 2006.

1. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

It is rather common with maples that the autumn leaf coloration varies from year to year. Is this phenominon a result of the genetic variation or a modification brought about by weather patterns or soil conditions.
    I have a maple growing in a garden opposite my house, that has even gone a step further. Normally the young leaves are crimson when the buds open, turning in time to green in summer and returning to orange or red by the fall. However 2 years ago, the leaves retain the crimson colors right through spring, summer and autumn. This year, it failed to turn from green into its autumn color. Is such a behavior common in all maples?

2. Tennyo

Tennyo Member

Fall coloration in deciduous plants is variable from year to year. From my limited experience variation from year to year often is particularly noticable in maples. Below is a website that explains fall color. Hopefully this will help answer your question.

http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/chemweek/fallcolr/fallcolr.html
    tennyo

3. Tennyo

Tennyo Member

I just realised there is a similar thread in which pierrot posted this link long before I'd even seen it. great minds I guess
    tennyo

4. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

Tennyo
    The link you provided says all I have been seeking. Thank you.
    I am quite new to these forums and to countercheck against previous identical threads would take so much time. Perhaps the moderator could devise a system that can inform the author and direct him to the corresponding similar thread. This will surely circumvent repetitive threads appearing in the forum.