Autumn Blaze trunk weird. Help!

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Kimmyloo, May 1, 2020.

1. Kimmyloo

Kimmyloo New Member

What is wrong with this Autumn blaze trunk? It is about 5 years old and never looked like this before.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Kimmyloo, this is often known as tight bark. It occurs from a long period of drought in several years of drought. There is nothing you can do to repair it yourself other than ensure that water does not get trapped under the bark which can cause more problems. The loose bark can be removed and the tree will repair itself over time.
    It is not a death sentence for the tree as long as you carry out correct watering in the future.
    The only other possibility is that of clawing by a cat or other animal which has been using it as a scratching post. If this is the case then you need a cat deterrent or a guard placed around the base. Deer can also cause a lot of damage. All good outdoor garden stores can advise on what to use.
    Hope thats of some help to you.
    Your tree can survive as long as this does not go all around your tree, so acting now to protect is essential.

Kimmyloo likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi@Kimmyloo, just thought I would post a photo of one of mine from 12 years ago, I just found it on my computer. My watering system was unknowingly blocked by this tree (Going green), so it suffered whilst it was young and growing fast.
    But it is still going strong now, so dont give up hope!!

Attached Files:

Kimmyloo likes this.
  4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

On another subject pull the wood chips back so they are not resting against the tree bark

5. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

Not relevant to this issue.
    Sap from the leaves comes down the tree (toward the roots) in the inner bark (phloem). Auxin hormone from the branch tips, leaves, and buds comes down the tree in the cambium which is the layer of stem cells just beneath the bark, atop the wood. This 'tight bark' was clearly due to damage well above the ground that interrupted these flows.