Identification: At last! What kind of succulent is this?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Chester, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Here are the pictures of that succulent I was hoping someone would be able to identify. I do not believe that it is a jade plant. Note the alternate, and not opposite, leaves. Crassulaceae (?), but what is it exactly, I would like to know. Any experts out there?

Attached Files:

2. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

Crassula argentia

3. Rima

Rima Active Member

In other words, a Jade.

4. Chester

Nandan, I was not able to access the site you gave.

I'm still, therefore, not sure about your response. My books list Crassula argentea as the common jade plant, which mine is not. Is there a Crassula argentia as well? A google search showed pictures of Crassula argentea, when I typed in C. argentia. There are some differences with my plant vs C. argentea. My plant has alternate, and not opposite, leaves. The coloring is quite a bit different than the different forms of C. argentea I have seen. A light apple green, with absolutely no red on the margins as some argenteas get. The leaf structure is more curved and pointed, with a subtle indentation of the upward surface and protrusion on the lower surface. Something I have not seen in C. argentea, or C. arborescens.

Also, this plant grows more rapidly than jades I have owned, and shed its leaves differently. I question what constitutes being called a 'jade plant'. In my experience, Rima, that title belongs to C. ovata, C. argentea, and C. arborescens. Mine is not one of these.

So in other words, not necessarily, a Jade.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  5. Rima

Rima Active Member

Your plant will get red edging if given enough sun, no question. I can only think the alternate vs opposite leaf pattern is a function of a diff. variety, but wouldn't be concerned about the diff. spelling of argentia/ea. You're right about arborescens being the commonly accepted 'jade', but I don't think that means a diff. Crassula cannot (or is not) be called a jade. I've seen various growth patterns on various jades, but the only one which I would agree is 'different' is a Portulacaria afra - or Elephant bush, which is smaller leaves and gets a woody stem/trunk faster, as well as having variegated leaf colors sometimes.

6. Chester

Again, I disagree. I've noticed with different varieties of jades, that some will get red edging (always in higher light/sun), and others will not, given higher light levels (sun). Alternate vs opposite leaves is, I believe, is a result of plants belonging to a different species. In this case, I suspect that it is a different genus as well. All of the household 'jades' I have encountered have opposite leaves, and belong to either C. ovata/argentea/argentia (jade plant) or C arborescens (silver jade or silver dollar plant). Most of the 'varieties' that you have encountered belong to the first group, again with opposite leaves. The differences being in the leaf structure or color. Smaller leaves, spoon-shaped, white variegation about covers it.

Portulacaria afra, coincidentally enough, also has opposite leaves. It is referred to as purslane, and while it may have other names, I have not heard it referred to as 'jade'. Also, owning both, I do not find P. afra to develop a woody trunk faster than my jades.

You are talking to a serious jade afficionado here Rima.

7. Rima

Rima Active Member

Ha ha, must be! I don't know as much as that about different types (being limited in person to what's avail. at the supermkt), but I just saw the pic. and thought 'jade', so sue me :-). Seriously, I never even really considered the alternate/opposite thing with them... only in other trees. Good luck finding the name.

8. Chester

No harm done.

I'd welcome some other ideas from anyone who is more familiar with succulents though. I'm still back to what is this succulent of mine?

9. Rima

Rima Active Member

Have you tried the cacti/succ. forum at Gardenweb?

10. Chester

Nope, I'll try it though. Cheers.

11. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

It's been a while since the last post but in case you haven't found a name yet, how about these possibilities:According to my book these two species, particularly young specimens, are often mistaken for one another. However yours is more likely to be the second one since it lacks the red leaf margins present in the first. Perhaps, similar to a jade, the redness is only expressed under certain conditions. Hope this helps.

12. Chester

YES! That's it! At last! Mine is definitely one or the other. They sure do look alike those two. I'll have to spend some more time pouring over the photos, but you've got me in the right part of the ball park. Well, that was really stumping me. I was looking at picture of cotyledons, but wasn't finding anything that close. Good on you Junglekeeper.

13. Chester

Okay. It looks to be a Sedum praealtum. Some sites call it Sedum dendroideum ssp praealtum. One picture that was a dead ringer called it Sedum dendroideum ssp praealtum f. cristata. Whew! But that's what it is alright, whatever you want to call it. Mine was in full sun outside all summer and did not develop red on the leaves whatsoever, so not S. dendroideum. Thanks for your help, that was really bugging me!

14. Junglekeeper

Great. Thanks for reporting back to let the readers know which it is.

15. Chester

Say Junglekeeper, you wrote earlier "according to my book"... can I assume that you have a dandy book on succulents, and if so, can you recommend one? I've been wanting to find a good book on the subject for a while now.

16. Junglekeeper

Sorry, no. It's an encyclopedia of houseplants. You may want to post your question in Cacti and Succulents.

17. Chester

Okey dokey. Thanks anyway.