Arugula seedlings turning brownish red

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by donnacanadensis, Apr 17, 2009.

1. donnacanadensis

donnacanadensis Member

I am a novice vegetable gardener so I started with planting some arugula seedlings I bought at a local nursery. I read that arugula is really easy. I planted it in a new raised bed (half topsoil, half compost). The seedlings looked really healthy, nice green. I mixed some bone meal and a very tiny amount of alphalpha meal into the soil. After about a week I noticed that the leaves and even the stems are turning reddish brown. I don't think it's sunburn because all leaves, even those shaded by leaves above are affected. I suspect that there is either too much or too little of something in the soil. Does anyone have any idea where I went wrong?

Thank you

2. candychikita

candychikita Member

another novice here, but have you tried a soil test? you can get a kit at your local nursery...good for about 40 tests and it tests the vitals for growing (N, K, P, pH and one other one) you dig up a little sample of your dirt, put it in the vial with the colour coded pill, add water, shake and then it'll read out like checking chemicals in a hot tub!

hope this helps! good luck!