Artic kiwi blossoms?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by mikehansen, Jul 16, 2006.

1. mikehansen

mikehansen Member

I have 4 hardy Artic Kiwis growing up the south side of my home in Anchorage, Alaska. There are 2 females and 2 males. After 3 years I have yet to see a blossom from any of them but the foliage is massive, tall and green. What's going on, is there something I need to do to get them to show a blossom. I used a high phosophorus fertilizer this year and give them plenty of water.

2. Tylerj

Tylerj Member

I wonder if the flower buds are possibly being hit by frost when they first develop? If so they probably won't produce more flower buds in the regrowth that year.

I just bought a m & f arctic kiwi this year and both flowered and the female has little kiwis on it now. The plants are only 2 feet tall and produced so yours should be also.

I had that problem with my "issai" kiwi this year. Early frost killed the flower buds.

3. mikehansen

mikehansen Member

Thank you for the advice on the frost. It might have happened this year but unlikely for the last 4 years. When do you see your kiwis blossom? It sounds like late May or early June. Mine grow under the eves of our house which protects from frost. They get lots of water and sun but I never see a blossom. I wonder what will make them bloom?

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Might also need to wait another year or two - they are supposed to blossom after 2-3 years, but I don't suppose 4 would be out of the question.

5. Tylerj

Tylerj Member

I can't recall when exactly the flowers came out but it was in May (mid may possibly?). The flower buds are there when the first growth starts so next year have a look at the new growth when it starts to see if there are flower buds forming. I believe they only flower on the previous years growth.

6. DeniseCoolen

DeniseCoolen Member

Mike,
    I live in Nova Scotia, I have five artic kwiw. Three I have had for seven years. I have found out that it takes up to four years for them to fruit. I have been gretting fruit for the last three years and every year they double in fruit. I have not used any furtilizers. I throw my coffee grinds and vegtable peels on the groud around it.
    Hope this helps you out! Denise