Arisaema corms ?

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by bcgift52, Mar 25, 2006.

1. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

I've just received some Arisaema corms but I'm not sure how deep I should plant them. Help ?

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I think an inch or two deep would be sufficent.

3. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Thank you LPN. I put one in this morning but something had dug it up by this afternoon and there's no sign of the corm. Would they grow if I buried them deeper, say 4 to 6" deep ?

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I suspect they would be fine at that depth. I would be concerned that whatever is digging up these corms, may get these again. Maybe grow a few on in pots initially or temporarily erect a wire cage around the planting sight.
    Cheers, LPN

5. oscar

oscar Active Member

Plant 6-10" deep in winter or spring.

candidissimum is a very nice variety (smells fantastic)

tortuosum is an interesting form with very unusual stem colouration.

6. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Good to know that they will grow if set deeper. It's just the squirrels I think and they don't seem to dig more than a couple of inches.

Agree candissimum is very nice and as of last autumn I had it but no appearance yet, but it's still early. This year I'm trying saxitile, consanguinum and coenobialis.

7. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

Let us know how you like the saxitile; it is on my wish list, but don't have it yet. We have found sikkokianum to be reliable and beautiful for us; candidissimum is wonderful but rarely emerges until May. We plant our corms 4"-6" deep, no problem with squirrels tho.

8. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

I really should learn to do my homework before I get stuff. I read somewhere that a.saxitile 'dislike wet winters' and what else do we have here but wet winters. So I'm planning to grow in a large pot which I can move under the eaves or under the stairs together with lilium nepalense which also hate winter wet. Would love some suggestions for other compatible plants in the same pot.