Areca Palm

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by becs, Nov 1, 2008.

1. becs

becs Member

My husband and I have been looking for a fast growing privacy screen to plant in our back yard. We recently returned from a trip to Puerto Rico where we saw Areca palms used for this. We think we may be one or two zones north of the recommended growing areas... Any idea if these palms may be able to live in our area? We live in Mobile, Alabama and the area where we want the plants would be part shade along a fence line on the west side of our property. If these will not grow in our area, any other suggestions? We love the tropical look but are open to other suggestions for a fast growing tree.

2. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Hi, I am totally on the other side of the world but can tell you that I have grown a couple of varieties of Areca palm and our conditions are roughly:
    Winter minimum _ 10 c
    Winter average daily_25 c
    Summer minimum_15 c
    Summer average_32 c
    While young these palms seemed to not like our mild winters although with shelter and a bit of care they will survive and as they mature seemed more tolerable. This was, as with most plants, more obvious while they were in pots. I have seen these grown a few hours further south but the temperature would not be much different. So if your winters are reasonable then you should be right to plant away.
    :}

3. becs

becs Member

I think our occasional lows may be too low with average lows in Dec/Jan are around 40degrees Fahrenheit, but a couple days out of the winter may dip into the 20s. This is only on a few days of the year at most, but would it be enough to kill them?

Know of any cold heardy palms that would provide a good privacy screen?

4. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Here's a few...
    Sabal minor - smaller growing clumping palm with fan leaves
    Phoenix roebelini - dwarf date single trunked feathery leaves(has spikes)
    Livistona chinensis - Chinese fan palm single trunk
    Chamaerops humilis - European fan palm clumping
    Butia capitata - Wine palm single trunk (edible fruit)
    Arecastrum spp. - Queen palm, single trunk, holds old fronds (has become an avoid planting in northern Australia yet seems to be a minimal problem south)
    The main downside with these plants is most have spikes on their fronds (Arecastrum and Sabal excepted). These are the main ones I know of that might be worth a try.