Are Scarlet Curls Willows Invasive ... Or Not?

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by senatorsfan, Oct 3, 2009.

1. senatorsfan

senatorsfan Member

Hello All

Just a quick question ... I live in Ottawa and have seen several people who have planted Scarlet Curls Willows in their small suburban backyards either near or right beside their pools, yet I have read on-line that their roots are invasive. Are they? Are there a couple of different types of Scarlet Curls?

They are beautiful trees and we'd love to put a couple at the back of our yard, but we don't want to create any problems with our neighbors (they have pools) or with the city (I called to ask the city and they don't have a clue).

Thanks.

Go Sens Go

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Natural pools could eventually have some fine willow roots grow out into them. Not sure this is necessarily a problem. Man-made pools with firm walls I would not expect to be affected. First thing that would probably be noticed is litter from the top of the tree falling into the water.

3. senatorsfan

senatorsfan Member

Thanks Ron for the fast reply and I am glad to hear that my neighbors pools will be safe.

Have a great weekend.

John

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Size of top can be controlled by cutting the well-established specimen down low at the end of winter each year. Since the reddish twig color is the special feature of this one, that is a good idea anyway - unrestrained specimens will end up with the young twigs dispersed over a larger crown consisting mostly of non-red wood. Many willows are a bit trashy and/or brittle for use as unpruned natural-form trees in garden settings anyway. Stem cankers and leaf blights can be prevalent on these, growing them as a sprouting stump(s) if nothing else clears away most of the affected growth each year.

I have been able to grow Scarlet Curls for years near a drive by cutting it down low. Even with annual (or nearly annual) cutting down it now manages to grow well above head height every summer.

5. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hello Ron B ---- would you have time to post a photo of your Scarlet Curls willow (how it looks now (August) - and maybe you have a winter photo stored away.

I am curious as to how you prune yours to get the nice red curly twigs, and if you don't mind - if I could see a photo.

thank you from coastal greater Vancouver BC.