Are pine cones edible?

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by cone-eater, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Hello, I have recently accepted a bet to eat a pine cone whole. I know the nuts of the cones are edible, but is the cone itself edible? and by edible, I dont mean will it be pleasant. I just need to know if it will harm me in any way. Thanksfor the help

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Silly!! It will be like eating so much wood. Make sure it is cut up into very small pieces, or you risk internal blockage. If there is a lot of resin in it, that could give stomach trouble.

If you have the choice of which species, go for one which has small, relatively soft scales, and without spines on the scales. Don't try Pinus coulteri.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Internal bleeding through intestinal walls is not something I'd risk.

4. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

how much is the bet for? It better be a good one. Chew, chew and chew some more.

5. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

I remeber a joke. "Mother porcupine is a most pitiable mother in this world." I hope you understand my point.

6. Aussiebob

Aussiebob Active Member

Yeah...you can eat them - sure........I would recomend you soak it in white vinegar first, cut it into small pieces and then smear vegemite over each piece for a few mins before you pop it into your mouth......I hear the process softens it up a little......... you may want to have a bottle ot two of castor oil handy as well....Cheers

7. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Your post implies eating it whole, as an intact cone.

Are you supposed to just swallow it whole like a clam, or can you chew it?

If it will be swallowed whole, bleeding may be in store as it passes through like an oversized wire brush.

Maybe it wouldn't pass through.

I can only imagine that you will be chewing it.

Suggestion...................... If the bet doesn't rule it out, I'd suggest a very large glass of water with Psillium husk powder mixed, to drink down with it. It may gel and lubricate your innards a bit. And probably pass it through a whole lot faster.

You can flavor that drink a bit - it's got a bit of a dry straw flavor, but better than pine cone I'm sure.

8. thanks for the tips guys. the bet was for $12, but i dont think im going to go through with it unless they let me grind one up into dust, and bake it into some brownies.

9. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

If I give you twelve bucks will you jump off a bridge? I'd say you shoulda asked for more bucks.

10. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Bock! Bock! you chicken! I doubt you would be the first person to eat a pine cone on a bet. Although, I wouldn't have made the bet for $12. Perhaps your friends won't notice if you substitute a fir cone for a pine cone ;)

11. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Or maybe even better, a Tsuga canadensis cone (only 1.5cm long, fairly soft, no sharp parts).