Archostaphylos glauca----Seed Culture

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by C.Dragonworks, Oct 10, 2006.

1. C.Dragonworks

C.Dragonworks Active Member

OK I have seed now how do I get these to germinate???? I have read many things some say they need fire,another just soak in water overnight, yet another says needs to be swallowed by a bear... So which is right???? Cat

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

None will be "right", anymore than there is a set height that all plants of the same kind grow to everywhere - another common source of perplexity for the uninitiated. Try the approach you have read about that sounds the most valid to you, feasible in your situation.

Plant propagation is like cooking, different practitioners have different recipes.

3. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Bigberry manzanita, but I've seen it called "Bear Berry" also, so maybe you do need a bear. That sounds as if it could get a bit complicated... please keep a photo log so we can share the experience :)

Ralph

4. C.Dragonworks

C.Dragonworks Active Member

I have them soaking... I understand they take months to germinate and so I am going to treat them the same way I do Palm seeds... plant and forget till something pops up! Will let you know how well it goes! I am just addicted to green growing things and the more odd the plant the worse it is to want to grow it!!!!Cat

5. GreenGoose

GreenGoose Active Member

http://plants.nrcs.usda.gov/cgi_bin/topics.cgi?earl=plant_attribute.cgi&symbol=ARGL4

6. Ian

Ian Active Member

I would like to know the answer to this as I have a bunch of Arctostaphylos seeds I need to sow as well. One local nurseryman I know of does the following. In winter, sow the seed, mixed with some sand, in pots, on top of newspaper, then put more newspaper over it. Then set fire to it so that all newspaper burns and the seed is surrounded by ash. Place in a cold greenhouse, so they get some cold stratification but are a little more protected than they would be outdoors. Even with this treatment, germination is sporadic. Perhaps this method combined with a water soak would provide even better results.