Arbutus trees in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Unregistered, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Hi,

I have been looking (unsuccessfully) in Vancouver for large arbutus trees to photograph for a graduate project. Could anyone please point me to areas of town where I could find some?

Thanks for your help with this.

Dennis

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello Dennis,

From the highly-recommended "Trees of Vancouver" by Gerald Straley:

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Marine Crescent and 49th is looking good right now, I drive by it on the weekends heading to work at the nursery. go west from Granville on 49th past Balsam then look left, there is a small park area, its at the west end by the bus stop.

4. Thanks

Thanks Daniel and Paul for pointing me to these locations. Much appreciated!

Dennis

5. There is a huge arbutus on East 33rd Ave (north side) at Victoria Drive, and a small 15' one on East 36th Ave at Gladstone.

6. If you're still looking, there's a big one at the corner of McDonald & ~10th...

7. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Seems odd for me to have someone looking for Madrone (Arbutus). There are countless thousands here and a good many large old trees.