Propagation: Appropriate host trees for tuber melanosporum orchards

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Chinonso Obeta, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Chinonso Obeta

Chinonso Obeta New Member

Greetings all.

I am a student at UBC's Okanagan campus that's currently researching appropriate conditions for black truffle (Tuber spp.) growth in the Okanagan valley region, mostly in the Kelowna area.

I'm stumbling in one particular aspect of my research - I don't know what host tree to use for the symbiote. Since the Okanagan Valley region is further northeast of the Lower Mainland region, the selected host tree must be able to withstand potential soil frost, as well as temperatures beyond a moderate range as found in the Lower Mainland. The Okanagan Valley region experiences low to moderate amounts of precipitation throughout the year and in the summer time can have temperatures greater than 35 degrees. In the winter time, temperatures are usually mild (usually -5 to 5 degrees) but the amount of snowfall precipitation is more variable but tends to be moderate.

For my purposes I have narrowed down a few species:
    - Quercus ilex (English oak)
    - Quercus garryana (Garry oak)
    - hazelnut tree
    - willow tree

What would be the benefits and drawbacks of using these? and would there be any other species that would be able to grow well in the Okanagan?

My thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2020
  2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Have you spoken yet with Dr. Shannon Berch? She is a research scientist and a founding member of the Truffle Association of British Columbia.

Dr. Shannon Berch -

Frog likes this.
  4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Moved this to fungi forum, I think there may also be additional answers from members here.

5. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Echoing Margot's and Junglekeeper's inputs: Contacting our very own local Truffle Association is the best path to information about host trees and so forth.
    Also some great resources on their site! Descriptive Metadata