Apple tree question from a fool.. (Frowns)

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Chrisgee, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Chrisgee

Chrisgee New Member

Hello.. I recently, spontaneously bought a Winesap apple tree. After squeezing the tree in my sedan (with much self-congratulations), I started to research and what a bummer. I learned that I need not ONE but TWO pollinators. So my questions are these:
    1) How large do Apple tree roots get? Will they damage stone paths/driveways within 7-10 feet?
    2) Are 2 pollinators necessary or would one do the trick to produce lovely fruit?

Please help! :-(

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I don't know if too much can be said about the apple tree roots without knowing what rootstock it is grown on. To learn about rootstock, see Gardening Resources, Cornell University from Cornell

As for pollinators: you can do one, but then you are growing one tree specifically for pollinating your 'Winesap'. It won't produce apples, since the 'Winesap' has sterile pollen and can't cross-pollinate it back. Hence, a third tree is recommended for fruitfulness all around.

However, are any of your neighbours growing apple trees?

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Are there pollinators that are graft-compatible with the tree?

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

As far as I know, all apple varieties are graft-compatible with all other apple varieties; so grafting would be one way to arrange for cross-pollination of the Winesap variety. I've found that apple trees are among the easiest trees to graft.

5. sgbotsford

sgbotsford Active Member 10 Years

Not all apples are graft compatible.

Apples can be pollinated by other apples or by crabapples. Usually the only requirement is that both are in bloom at the same time. Doesn't have to be very close either. Usually on the same city block is sufficient. Within 200 feet is almost certain.