anyone help me identify this

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by sandy's journey, Jul 17, 2006.

1. sandy's journey

sandy's journey Member

Can anyone help me identify this vine? I've noticed this throughout ontario and it seems to choke any tree it wraps it's self around.

Attached Files:

• vine.jpg
      vine.jpg
      File size:
      125.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Maybe Ampelopsis brevipedunculata or a wild species of grape (Vitis).

3. sandy's journey

sandy's journey Member

I find it extreamly invasive, and is taking beautiful large trees down in just over three years, its spreading all along the highways, overpowering large sectons at a time...my daughters nieghbour has a large patch that Iv been watching for about three years, this year it will consume a peach tree she has at the back of her yard....I cant seem to find a name for it so that I can research it further...I will do all I can find on AMPELOPSIS BREVIPEDUNCULATA. thanks for the info

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Common name porcelain berry, after the bluish grapelike fruits. Not sure that's what you have, don't remember those jagged teeth for one thing. I've got one out here in the front I could go look at but there should be plenty of pictures up on www you could check, too.

5. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

At first, I thought they looked like the leaves of Ampelopsis cordata, which tend to be less "indented" than most other species. But it doesn't look like a match.

6. sandy's journey

sandy's journey Member

thanks Bob and weekend gardener...I'm still doing research, Iv checked with the department of forestry and the department of agriculture....nothing...I could tell u the thousands of vines it isnt......it spreads like the infamous Kudzu but looks more like grape ivy vine, but its neither...Im still checking....sent a pic to forestry to see if they could give me a name I could research .....I would really love to know as I fear in a decade or two this vine will overpower our forests....