Anyone game for a Palm expedition?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by palmera, Nov 12, 2006.

1. palmera

palmera Active Member

I am considering planning a trip to Southern California and Northern Mexico for a soft Palm "expedition". I am only in the brainstorming phase of my plans at the momment. I am in search of interesting palm seedlings/seeds and other dryland plants. I want to know if anyone here is interested in going or has any ideas?

I am thinking of flying into S. Calif perhaps Palm Springs and traveling the area from a base camp for a week or so. I would likely then fly into Mexico and do the same. I am not really into driving down from here (the great wet North), but I am open to suggestions...

Hablo Espanol muy pocito but I can speak enough to get a room, a tequila con limon, and make an amigo or two!

Soooo....are there any adventurous souls in the lot? As Mark Twain would say, "In twenty years you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the things you did do!"

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hey palmera ... I've always thought that a trip like that would be awesome! I wonder how much pre-trip research would be needed and the best time of year (when seed is ready for harvest) etc. If getting into remote areas are planned, it would involve considerable preperation and gear, as well as info on specific genus locations. And of course, returning through customs with seed, which would likely have to be cleaned prior to entry. The whole thing has crossed my mind many times over the last couple of years.

Cheers, LPN.

4. palmera

palmera Active Member

Barrie,

I really think that a trip like this would be very do-able. It wouldn't have to be a very expensive trip if the costs were shared. Currently a flight to Palm Springs would cost about $300 per person from Vancouver at full fare. Seat sales happen frequently. You can get a house in the area (3 bedrooms plus couch) for $550 a week . http://www.vrbo.com/84648 Also the car rental can be shared.

I chose Palm Springs as I have been to the area before, it is centrally located, OUT OF THE CITY, and easy to get info about. There are numerous parks with trail systems like Joshua tree and the Pacific Crest trail from Mexico to Canada runs thru the area providing excellent hiking access to the "off road" areas.

Mexico would require more research. I have only been to the coastal and Southern areas. But it certainly is inexpensive if you stay away from the resorts.

I would be interested in hearing from some of the more Souternly USA forum members with regards to the timing of year and potential genus to look for.

On this note, my seeds from some Pheonix dactylifera (Medjool) have sprouted today. It is amazing how fast these germinate-only 10 days from planting in a 12 hour bottom heated flat. I am growing them to pot up and have some fun with!

5. LPN

Hi palmera,
    I'd assume this time of year thru December would be perfect as the seeds ripen on the trees. I wonder about seed collection and it being permissable in certain areas. Personally I think going to regions that experience limits of hardiness might be the best for us in the PNW. That would involve high elevation regions in NM, AZ, NV, CA. A lot more really then the average "couch potato" (personally speaking) could endure. Ian Barclay did make these trips and with his reasonable prices http://www.angelfire.com/bc/eucalyptus/desertnorthwest/, well ...
    The thought of just getting up close and personal, and seeing many in native habitat is enough to justify a trip. Eco-sensitive collection for rare species would be paramount, as would happy hour at the cantina.
    I have a medjool Phoenix outside somewhere. I guess I'd better round it up. The rabbits have attacked my Phoenix theophrastii and knocked off a leaf of two.

Cheers, LPN.

6. palmera

palmera Active Member

Wow, what a great site. I could spend months just wandering the hills in search of the next giant agave or palm...Ian is my hero!
    I agree that the fall/early winter looks to be a good time in the higher elevations of the Southwestern States for "gathering". I was in Palm Springs 2 winters ago and did alot of hiking in the Chocolate Mtns (2000 ft elev). I saw many plants that I would have loved to take home...but I did not gather any seed, only memories!

I would love to get a trip going for the fall of 2007...

Here's a few pics of some grand Washingtonia filiferas at 1000 palms...

Attached Files:

7. LPN

Keep me in mind!
    Cheers, LPN.