Anthurium sp. Ecuador with smelly infloresence.

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by trikus, Mar 11, 2008.

1. trikus

trikus Active Member

I have tried to ID this plant before , but with some better pictures and more info may have more luck now .
    Seed/seedlings? of this were given out to many of the people attending a show organised by David Burnett [author of 'Cultivated Alocasia' edition of Aroideana ] that was held in Townsville about 20 years ago .
    It is very similar to crispimarginatum , and has a more upright habit than plowmanii .
    Very tough , as it will grow in full sun . I just happened to get very close to a flower and noticed the putrid odour and the flies hanging around .

Attached Files:

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Nice one Mick. That looks very similar to the Anth I was trying to id here
    It is also the same one in my avatar.
    Do you think they are the same???
    I think mine may be A. schlentendalii.....
    Ed

3. trikus

trikus Active Member

Much more distinct veining in yours Ed .
    Not enough detail in your pic. to tell if they are the same .

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Ed, what was that Anthurium we were both trying to ID back in July? Trikus' looks very much like both of ours... A. cubense is I think what we arrived at.

5. edleigh7

Mick, I'll post some more pics when I get home, but I think you are right with the veins.
    Lorax, we didn't actually come to a conclusion, but Steve thought A. cubense or A. schlentendalii. Mick thought it may be the latter. The problem is I couldn't get any berries to form on there no matter what I tried. I tried the camel hair brush thing and that didn't work and their were alot of insects, mosquito's and flies and a few beetles, but obviously I didn't have the right ones!!
    Maybe I'll never know, but I'll put a few more shots of it on to compare...

Ed

6. trikus

trikus Active Member

No !! , there were many named species growing at the arboretum , and this one was nothing like what we had as cubense or schlectendahlii or salviniae or jenmanii or atropurpureum or crispimarginatum ..........I only grow a few now , really lost interest in these and trying to name them ,, it has to be a real outstanding species , and this one is .. much easier to grow than plowmanii .

7. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

According to Dr. Croat, the pheromone you are smelling is not uncommon. When I did my several months of study last year on Anthurium regale he kept telling me to smell the spadix for a scent. That pheromone (and I know you know this Mic) is produced by the plant as an enticement to the male insect of its assigned pollinator to fly over and move the pollen. Every Anthurium has a pre-assigned insect species, often a beetle, whose job it is to pick up pollen on its legs and body and move it to the spadix of another plant of the same species that is receptive. The pheromone produced smells exactly like the same "perfume" produced by the female insect of the same species when she is ready to mate. A very ingenious method to move pollen only to a similar species!

As for that Anthurium Lorax. I tried once to find that thread and failed. I doubt seriously the plant was Anthurium cubense since Dr. Croat explained that A. cubense has only 6 or 7 lateral veins on each side of the leaf. That one was likely Anthurium schlechtendalli and Mic was right!

8. edleigh7

Mick, was that plant that you have the photos of, was that at the Palmetum in Townsville by any chance??

Ed

9. trikus

trikus Active Member

Could be one there , pic with mate and leaves was in Whyanbeel , and flower was in Townsville but near airport in a house .. Show was held in Townsville so some plants may have been donated to Botanic Gardens. Have to go and have another lok at the Palmetum , not seen it for many years , and it only gets better . Nice thread on the palmtalk forum a few weeks ago with great pics . The dry tropics are so much different to the wet tropics ..

10. edleigh7

The Palmetum at Townsville had an Anth very similar to mine, although when I was there I wasn't in to aroids as much and didn't count the veins or take photos etc. I asked the curator for an id on his Anth but I received no reply. I might try again when I get time (roll eyes now)...

Ed