Anthurium in Urgent Need of Help

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Anthurium lover, May 5, 2008.

1. Anthurium lover

Anthurium lover Active Member

Hi guys, I just registered as I'm looking for help for an anthurium andreanum. He was sick when I bought him, I didn't look at the plant properly and ignored the florists gentle attempts to move me away from it. As soon as I got him home I noticed he was sick. I thought maybe it would perk up. It didn't. Then I split the plant in two and potted it in a mix of potting soil/coir peat/propagating sand/charcoal. Its getting even worse.

I took some pictures yesterday so hopefully they'll give you an idea of what's going on (I apologize for the bad quality, I only have a mobile phone camera that's digital)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Please, please give me your recommendations as to what I can do to save the poor bugger. I'm happy to repot in orchid mix/water more whatever needs to be done!

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Having a collection of over 80 species of Anthurium I'd say you're on a good start. This species is epiphytic and is found on the branches of trees in the rain forest. As a mater of convenience almost all are now potted in soil which isn't their normal habitat. Being in soil many are often over watered since typically the individual who potted it will use a soggy soil. I'd consider removing all or most of the damaged leaves. Since you've already repotted it you might want to consider adding a few more amendments to the soil mix. The coir is fine as is he charcoal but try adding some orchid potting media which contains gravel and bark along with the charcoal and Perlite. Peat or some sort of compost is also helpful. Anything that will make the soil porous and quick draining will help the plant to recover.

Grow the plant in as bright but indirect light as possible, avoid deep shade. Keep the potting media damp but not soggy and offer the plant, now plants, some dilute fertilizer. If you dilute the normal dose to about 20% and then offer that often the plant will almost certainly recover. But get rid of anything that appears to have a fungus or infestation that can spread.

I grow many species in very large orchid baskets packed only with sphagnum moss. The moss is kept constantly damp from an overhead watering system. By doing so the roots are watered very much like they would be as an epiphyte in the rain forest. Many commercial growers water them daily in this type of media. Chances are it will recover nicely. Anthurium andreanum is a very tough species.

3. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Agree with Steve, I need to repot mine also. Mine is inside and doesn't really like it in there, but I will persavere a little longer. I haven't had a bloom since I moved it in there. All my other Anth's are outside and loving it!!
    Good to see another Aussie on here : )

Ed

4. photopro

Hey Ed, I didn't notice the original post was from Australia! So my welcome as well.

Ed has a great collection of Anthurium and aroid species so you might want to send him a private mail! Promise, he can give you good information.

5. trikus

trikus Active Member

It may be some cold damage , is Sydney getting cold yet ?
    As long as the root system is healthy your plant should come back .
    I must admit I grow very few flowering Anthuriums , found they are more prone to pests and diseases . Best ones seen are usually grown by orchid collectors as they appreciate the need for epiphytic media and constant fertilisation needed to continually keep these in flower . When well grown an Anthurium andreanum will have a flower for every leaf produced . If you have a healthy one with a few stems , it can have several flowers . The best ever I saw at an orchid show , was a large firetruck red flowering plant , trained up a 1" square hardwood tomato stake . It had 4 main stems branching off the one base [rules stipulate it must be one plant] with many roots adhering to the stake and the other stems , and over a dozen flowers .
    Simply superb ... I just wish I had taken a photo of it .

6. photopro

And Anthurium Lover, Mic is another great source of reliable information from the land down under. You are blessed to have quite a few very bright grower/collectors in your country. Put their knowledge to good use! One of these days I'm going to figure out a way to get down there myself just to see everything you guys grow!

7. Anthurium lover

Thank you so much guys! Your advice is awesome!

I've been growing orchids this past month, and I've been thinking how similar the anthuriums are to them. I'll follow you guys suggestions and change the mix to a good cymbidium mix/charcoal/peat/perlite mix. Honestly, I don't know where I got the idea to use propagating sand, there's just not enough great info on anthuriums out there, and I clearly took an idiot at their word...... Thank you so much for your wonderful web-site, Steve! Its one of the few accurate ones out there from what I've found.

I was surprised at how great the root system is on this guy. I'd expected it to be ailing, but it wasn't. I think I'll put both plants in the terracotta container, that way hopefully he'll have a better chance. I think I over-potted massively, and the hanging basket is in the bathroom, so doesn't get enough attention where it is, too high up to keep a constant eye on. I've already cut off the formerly dead leaves and the flowers to help him, but unfortunately its spread to the healthy ones.

Could some genius have stuck him in the cold room at some point??? That's all I can think of of how he would get bitten by the cold. It hasn't been too bad here in Sydney.

To the Aussie guys: Any suggestions for a great fertilizer? The coir peat I'm using already has some fertilizer in it, so preferably something I could use in conjunction with the slow release high N fertilizer in the coir. Would that Seasol stuff be ok?

8. photopro

9. Anthurium lover

Fabulous article Steve. Thank you so much for the info, and your generosity in sharing it with the world for free!

10. trikus

trikus Active Member

The Orchid growers fertilization creed ... weekly , weakly !
    Manutec blossom booster , Seasol , Miraclegrow , Charlie Carp etc, etc
    Always half to quarter strength , and alternate a organic with a chemical .
    I was advised to lightly mist plants first then foliar feed .

11. Anthurium lover

Alright, the potting mix has been changed. Also, there was a small part that detached easily when I took the hanging one out for its change over, so I took your advice on the alternative method, Steve, and popped him back in the hanging basket with a whole lot of spag moss after I tossed the charming sand mix. The main two have been planted back into the terracotta pot in an orchid mix/charcoal/perlite/coir peat mixture (I also placed large landscaping pebbles at the very bottom for drainage), after they had a good "haircut" to get rid of damaged leaves/roots.

I'll post some pics for you guys once I get the kitchen/planting area cleaned up!

EDIT:

Here are the promised pics! Once again, sorry for the quality

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  12. Anthurium lover

I gave him a spray of Mancozeb yesterday, but so far he's looking good! Last time I repotted he was still dying, this time he seems happier.