anthurium in trouble

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Djohn, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Djohn

Djohn Member

The leaves of my anthurium are slowly yellowing, one by one. Too much water? Not enough? Fungus? The drainage is good. There is central heating. What should I do? Thanks.
    Djohn

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Could be either too much water or not enough - we'd need to see a picture to give you an accurate diagnosis. With too much water, the leaves should feel spongy or waterlogged, and they'll be drooping significantly. With too little, they'll tend to be crispier feeling.

Sight unseen, I'd reccomend that you repot it into a new pot with drainage holes, in soil that is no less than 50% coir or peat (cactus or orchid mix is excellent), then water sparingly.

HOWEVER

If this is only happening to the oldest leaves on the plant, that's likely natural leaf obsolecence. A photo will go a long way to help us help you.

3. Djohn

Djohn Member

Thanks so much, in Ecuador: I'm trying to attach a photo of my yellowing leaves: I may be defeated by my technical inexpertise. The leaves feel crisp, however. I'll keep trying, and will repot.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

5. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Djohn, it is also important to know how much light the plant receives. A photo of the plant as well as one showing where it is kept may help solve the mystery.

6. Djohn

Djohn Member

Thanks, Steve Lucas.
    I'm still trying to attach photo. (need directions for Mac)Plant is in full light but no direct sun; but it's winter in France, so full light is still gray and low.
    Diane

7. photopro

8. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Djohn, the instructions in the link that Daniel posted work equally well for Mac.

9. photopro

I'm posting one of the photos yous sent. The plant appears to be Anthurium andreaum but it is likely a hybridized form. One of the other photos shows some very yellow leaves and those need to be completely removed at the base of the plant.

I would repot the plant in newly mixed soil but don't use the stuff you buy in a store. Instead, you'll need to mix your own "jungle mix".

Start with a good potting soil like Miracle Grow or whatever is available in your area. Use about 50%of the soil and add to that approximately 20% peat, 20% orchid bark that contains charcoal and the balance should be Perlite along with finely cut pieces of sphagnum moss. If some compost is available that will also be helpful. Mix it thoroughly. Be sure and wash off all the old soil before repotting.

The soil mix needs to be kept evenly damp but not wet. Once it begins to regrow I would give it a diluted fertilizer once or twice a month using a mixture of about 20% of the recommended amount.
    Don't over fertilize since that is worse than no fertilizer at all.

Also, a small amount of Epsom's salt mixed into one single watering every few months will help. The Epsom's salt contains magnesium and Anthurium as well as other house plants love magnesium but only in very small amounts. Don't use much, perhaps 1/2 teaspoon to a large glass of water. Don't try to drown the plant and give the balance to your other plants.

The plant needs bright indirect light but since you have it near a window that should work.

The link I'm giving explains how Anthurium grow and how to make them prosper.

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Grow or Growing Anthurium species.html

I hope that helps.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  10. Sigtris

Sigtris Active Member

DJohn, I use a Mac and the instructions that Daniel posted work very well.
    Good luck