Anthurium andreanum dying

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Elina, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Elina

Elina New Member

I ve had it since November and i made the mistake to pot in in : down layer lecca balls and then some regural indoor potting soil with slight orchid bark in the mix
    It seems that two weeks ago it started wilting and when i took it out of the pot i saw rotten roots
    Also it was very moist and lots of big spiders were running around
    I washed most of it sprayed with hydrogen peroxide 2.8 dilluted in water and then let it dry for about one day
    Aah i also drenched the root ball with pure peroxide 2.8 after i put it in the new pot
    now after one week is looking like this and leaves continue to yellow.

please tell me what i should do to save it????

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

3. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

That pot looks like there are no drainage holes in the bottom, is that right? The plant isn't taking up all the water you are giving it, and the water eventually stagnates and turns to poison as the mix goes anaerobic. Houseplant hybrid Anthurium actually will tolerate sitting in a shallow tray of water when they are older or more established, but it looks like you are pushing it too far with the stagnant, wet, non-draining soil mix.

This one looks like it may be tough to bring back if the new leaves haven't been making it. It needs drainage and much higher light. Sometimes if you can supplement it's normal window light with an all-day fluorescent or LED fixture just inches away (maybe on a 16-hr timer), then the plant can have a shot at out-growing overwatering conditions.