Identification: Another mystery grape

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by DeborahGillis, Oct 27, 2008.

1. DeborahGillis

DeborahGillis Member

I have acquired a "test plot" of grapes. There are approximately 300 plants of what appears to be 5 varieties. I am pretty sure they are all "made in Canada" varieties and have hopefully identified L'Acadie Blanc, Lucy Kuhlmann, Vineland 53035 (Pinot Gris??) and New York Muscat but one has me stumped. If I have done this right (first post) I have attached 2 pictures. One shows the leaves last week, large and lacking any indentations. The other shows the large mystery grapes beside a much smaller l'Acadie Blanc for reference. The grape is fairly tart and has a good sized seed, is green and shows spotting like a L'Acadie Blanc. The plant growth is better than the Muscat but less aggressive than the rest of the varieties. I live in the Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia where growing wine grapes is a new and successful vocation.

Debbie

Attached Files:

2. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

Hi Deborah; It looks like Vidal which is grown in your area. Check out the attachment. Cayuga, Seyval, Ortega are other cultivars that are grown there. If you are in doubt
    get a hold of the guys at Kentville they will help you to id you grapes.

Cheers

Kim

Attached Files:

3. DeborahGillis

DeborahGillis Member

Vidal

Thanks for the reply Kim.
    I don't think the Vidal works. The leaves are wrong. My grape leaves have almost no indentation.
    I will check on the other 3 varieties you mentioned to see if I can get a better match and you ate right about contacting the Research Station in Kentvile but this is more fun.
    Debbie

4. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

Hi deb. It's quite possible it might be a GM (Geisenheim selection). There are several other selections that kind of fit the grape. Check out these pics. Ortega is quite early so its probably nor that and the cluster is too small for Cayuga. The GM selection is just an example there a lot of numbered selections so its probably worth trying to id with the Kentville folks.

Cheers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  5. DeborahGillis

DeborahGillis Member

The leaf of the GM looks right but the grapes are smaller and the wrong colour. The Ortega leaf has huge indentations but the grape looks better :-)

Kentville is only 30 minutes away .....

Have a great day.

Debbie

6. gemtrader

gemtrader Member

I think Kim's got it, its one of those he listed, likely Seyval. Big clusters, later than acadie, and common planting in NS.
    Good luck!
    Kelly

7. DeborahGillis

DeborahGillis Member

Cool, thanks

Deb