another ID confirmation sought

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by davidrt28, Nov 29, 2022.

1. davidrt28

davidrt28 Member

This was sold as a Larix kaempferi, but suspect it could have some hybrid traits.
    The paper is 5 lines to an inch, not the more common (in the US) 4 X 4. I can't find my caliper at the moment but I could get an exact measure of it later, if that would help.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Looks Japanese

AlainK likes this.
  3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

davidrt28 likes this.
  4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Probably Japanese, but Hybrid is possible. Can you soak the cone in water, and take another pic when it has closed up, please? And include a centimetre scale, please, '5 lines to an inch' is totally meaningless!

davidrt28 likes this.
  5. davidrt28

davidrt28 Member

Michael - fat chance finding centimetre ruled paper in the US! I can probably find a centimetre ruler...

6. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

@Michael F, be nice. One inch is 2.54 cm, so the paper has five lines to roughly 2.5 cm, or the lines make each square side 5 mm.

davidrt28 and AlainK like this.
  7. davidrt28

davidrt28 Member

Alrighty, I soaked the cone in water for over 2 days, I think it's done whatever it's going to do.
    I found my digital calipers and set them to Michael F's preferred millimeters. Not counting the little stub leftover from the stalk, it is 34 X 26 mm.

Attached Files:

Michael F likes this.
  8. Michael F

Excellent, thanks! I'm going to come down on the side of Dunkeld Larch (the hybrid between European and Japanese Larches), the cone is taller than normal for pure Japanese; that has cones that are still ± globose when closed. In Britain at least, hybrids (including back-crosses with both parents!) are a lot commoner than pure Japanese; for a safe comparison of guaranteed Japanese Larch, I've found a photo from Japan where it is native, here.

davidrt28 likes this.
  9. davidrt28

davidrt28 Member

Thanks Michael/Pineresin. Please pardon the banal Americanism, but you da man. What I hope this tree to be is a backcross of Dunkeld with a Japanese. General observations about it...compared to my other survivor larch*, it colors a bit later in autumn, and is yellower, whereas the other is more orange. The habit is very sparse but it was sheltered for many years by a huge branch of a maple; it's focusing on upright growth, it seems, since that was removed. The whole maple will be removed in 2-3 more years once I'm sure this can shade rhododendrons like the one in the picture. This picture shows the larch, my huge Metasequoia 'Ogon', and one of my 2 Abies firma. They look really close together but they are actually about 20' apart from each other. The 'Ogon' was planted as a 0.7m whip in spring 2010, probably grafted the prior winter, and is now 15m.

* tried at least 12 Dunkelds and Japanese over the years, and most died of rot root or just, "something". The other one hasn't coned yet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
  10. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

A bit late : I have a dozen Larix x eurolepis (syn : Larix x marschlinsii) that I train as bonsai.

March 2015. Male (hanging down) and female (upright) flowers.

larix-flores_150327c.jpg larix-flores_150327b.jpg mlz9403_150326a.jpg

Mature cones (Oct.2015)

mlz9403_151010b.jpg

Oct. 30th, 2021 :

mlz9403_211030b.jpg

They don't flower every year...

davidrt28 likes this.
  11. davidrt28

davidrt28 Member

Thanks Alain, that takes an impressive amount of work. As a rare plant collector it's hard enough for me keep my plants alive when they aren't in a pot with soil volume of 1000ccs!

12. Michael F

Thanks! That (being a backcross) sounds eminently plausible!