Identification: Another green mushroom

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by mikephillips, Aug 18, 2013.

1. mikephillips

mikephillips Member

I had never conceived of a green mushroom before this season, now . . .

Yet another green shroom! This one however is not really green, just a green overgrowth or colonization. Still, that too cannot be all that common, yes, no?

Mushroom fwiw was about 4 cm x 4 cm and undistinguished. Here are a couple of pics. It is a remarkable colour (I think) and its structure appears to be twofold: On the top of the cap, fairly plain but on the gills and stipe are hundreds of (same colour) green bubos (or whatever), probably less than .25 mm diam.

Attached Files:

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Re: Green mushroom identification

This is probably an example of a parasitic fungus on a mushroom, similar to the lobster mushroom. I regularly see the green Hypomyces luteovirens on Russula mushrooms, but it doesn't normally cover the mushroom so thoroughly. There are other species of green Hypomeces, such as H. viridis; but I'm not familiar with them.

3. mikephillips

mikephillips Member

Okay, great, thanks!

I have looked around to explore your suggestions further and fwiw found that apparently:

1. Hypomyces is almost the only show in town for this kind of overgrowth form of fungal parasitizing, varying in colour and target. Lobster(ized Russula) is a classic.
    2. Others report that H. luteovirens doesn't normally cover the mushroom so thoroughly, but it does sometimes.
    3. H. viridis is uncommon enough to have hardly any information about it on the net, and the only picture I saw had its coverage even less than that of H. luteovirens.
    4. What I referred to as bubos are called pimples by mycologists and they are not always described with H. luteovirens but often enough.

Possibly the pimpling on the gills and stem but NOT on the cap and the light covering on the cap reflect a scenario where the lower parts were attacked first, and the cap only later, a mature specimen.

So a decent match, all in all.

Thanks for the tip, and it led me down some other interesting pathways as well.

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thank you for the posting and the research Mike!

frog