Identification: Another Amanita

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Nik, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Nik

Nik Contributor

They just popped out today. They are very white. I will post photos of them when they fully open tomorrow.

Attached Files:

allelopath likes this.
  2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Wow luminous looking! Yes please do share your photos of tomorrow. In general they look most likely to be an Amanita: You may want to extract one if you want to check for a volva.

3. Nik

Nik Contributor

Very luminous indeed, @Frog , the white color is pristine and almost iridescent.
    The cap is smooth, about 7 cm in diameter. The stipe has a ring and volva and is very scaly in between the two features. It is much less scaly between the ring and the cap and is with smaller diameter in that region.
    Usually squirrels and slugs nibble on most mushrooms in our yard (the squirrels are very cute when they hold in their front paws and devour an entire large mushroom).
    Nobody has touched these for two days now.
    Any ideas? I will try to figure it out on my own as well.

Attached Files:

4. Nik

Nik Contributor

Definitely a ‘destroying angel’ type. Looks similar to A. bisporigera, but not quite the same.

5. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Wow excellent diagnostic shots! And very distinct stipe texture and constricted volva characters.
    ...I keep wishing we were in the same region, as I am very familiar with PNW species and unfamiliar with species associated with the eastern side of the continent: After I finish work today will give it a whirl and see if I can make any useful suggestions.

Nik likes this.
  6. Nik

Nik Contributor

The other possibility is the closely related European species Amanita virosa, if it somehow found its way into the US...