American Mountain Ash. (Sorbus americana)

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Durgan, May 28, 2008.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

American Mountain Ash. (Sorbus americana)

http://aefoir.notlong.com/ 28 May 2008 American Mountain Ash. (Sorbus americana)

A member of Rosaceae (Rose Family) . This pretty tree forms red/orange berries in profusion, and apparently some birds ingest them during the Winter, and they are sometimes made into jelly for human consumption.

The wood is very tough, and was much sought after for making singletrees and whippletrees (double tree) in the horse drawn era, also for canoe frames, since it bends well and is extremely tough and pliable. A nice tree in a garden.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

More usefully called American Rowan, to avoid confusion with ashes Fraxinus.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

"Rowan" isn't usually used by Americans (and probably not by Canadians either). "Mountain ash" is used to quite adequately distinguish the subject from "ash". When there is confusion is when the "mountain" is left out.

Other than that the tree shown is probably an example of Sorbus decora. It does not look like S. americana.

4. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

And as a note of possible selective interest, this is the North American cousin of the rowan (Sorbus aucuparia) which figures prominently in British folklore, apparently because it was considered in pre-Christian times to have special power against troublesome spirits. Hence, and because of its combination of strength and pliability, it is favored among Wiccan and neo-pagan types as a wood of choice for the making of magic wands.

Just sayin.

5. nic

nic Active Member 10 Years

Rowan jelly is the classic accompianment to venison. The birds have the berries off my tree before I can make any, they're the first berries to go, here.
    Rowans are planted for luck and prosperity in Scottish gardens, the guardian spirit of the home was thought to live in them. Sadly, my big one is nearing the end of its life, many dead branches, but it has shoots coming from the trunk about three feet from the ground, so we may have to see what it looks like pollarded. I have a self sown young tree in the front garden, so I'm not worried about the guardian of the house. I also have a young tree grown from seed by me(the pride!) which will have blue or purple berries when it eventual is old enough to flower, the seed as given to me by a very old lady and I can't now remember what type it was. It's an asian one, and when it does berry I shall no doubt be asking here which one it is.
    I was born in a house called "The Rowans", and am very fond of them. Durgan's tree is a very pretty one indeed. Thank you for showing it to us.

6. Michael F

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Other trees not Sorbus are also called mountain ash. So?

8. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

Which ones? I've only heard this common name associated with Sorbus.

Maybe I should get out more.

9. Michael F

Therefore, it invites confusion, and is best avoided. Rowan is unique, meaning only Sorbus and nothing else.