Appreciation: Amaryllis

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Jan Shell, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Jan Shell

Jan Shell Member

Hi, last year my Amaryllis bloomed and afterwards I cut off the stalk. Then it grew leaves which finished and I cut off. Now it has grown 3 more leaves. One being at least a foot long and the others maybe 6 ". At the same time is sending up a new flower stalk which is approx 5" high.
    Do I cut off the green leaves so the enerygy can focus on the flower stalk ?
    Or, do I leave the green leaves for energy for the bulb and flower stalk ?
    Thanks, Jan

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The food made in leaves feeds the rest of the plant. Cutting off leaves reduces the amount of energy available to the other parts.

3. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

I have had an amaryllis for about 4 years and 2 years ago I left it outside and the large bulb started to rot away because of a period of heavy rain (yes, I forgot to put it under shelter). There was very small bulb which had started to sprout from the parent and which survived. 2 years on and after producing only leaves in the first year, that bulb has now produced a beautiful flower and a further 2 new shoots. It is really important to grow the leaves on if you want to enjoy the beauty of the flower each year.
    Good luck.
    Margaret

4. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

Many amaryllises go dormant before flowering, some don't, and they make reasonably good ornamental foliage in our climate, where they grow happily outdoors. For us, some varieties are definitely better than others. Many produce viable seeds, which will make plants in a few years. I've recovered amaryllis seedlings as well as germinated acorns from the little pools of water in the axils of bromeliad leaves.

As Margaret noted, amaryllis need good drainage.