Identification: AMANITA MUSCARIA VAR. GUESSOWII ?? ID HELP

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Ryan Holub, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Ryan Holub

Ryan Holub New Member

Hello,

Im hoping someone can help me, I've posted pictures of these on other mycology forums with no response. Im aware that this forum focuses mostly on the pacific west region and my mushrooms are from the eastern part of New York. These were collected in upstate eastern NY, near and around the base of large pine trees. I'm having trouble correctly Identifying them. I'm almost certain they are Amanita Muscaria var Guessowi, they could also be Amanita flavoconia. If they are correctly identified as Amanita Muscaria Var. Guessowii then I plan to take them in low doses as a general tonic and natural antibiotic. I've successfully used them in the past with great results. I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      148.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      147.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      98.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      154.6 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      127.7 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      164.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi Ryan - All things considered, it sounds like you might be best served by obtaining an Amanita key for northeast NA, and walking through the key yourself for identification. That way you will gain personal knowledge around the ID. If I am able to locate a regional key I will follow up with you.
    Also, one reason you may not be receiving ID so far from online forums is that it is risky for someone to provide an ID on a mushroom you have stated you will be consuming, especially when the mushroom is not one of the "regular edibles" and is from a fungal group known to generate uneven results when consumed.

3. Frog

4. Ryan Holub

Ryan Holub New Member

ok thanks, I've posted anywhere else that I would be consuming these. I don't take them to get high, it's medicine to me. At low a dose, they act as an excellent tonic when used appropriately. I'd rather not take any risks if I'm not completely sure. The one thing that makes me believe they are Amanita Muscaria Var. Guessowii, is the ruffled ring around the base of the stem. Thank you.

Frog likes this.
  5. Ryan Holub

Ryan Holub New Member

Thank you so much for the links, I'll check them out later today.

Frog likes this.
  6. Frog

Oh good I am glad these may be useful.
    And no worries, was not assuming anything about your planned use or knowledge in that regard, just noting generally how things like this can land with (feel to) potential identifiers.

7. Ryan Holub

Ryan Holub New Member

I understand most people would not want to be responsible, especially if I consumed a potentially deadly mushroom. I feel confident forging many other wild mushrooms, but when it comes to the Amanita genus, one must be very careful.

Frog likes this.