aloe vera leaves have brown patches

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by metalray, May 19, 2015.

1. metalray

metalray Member

Hi Plant Experts,
    I noticed my about 7 year old aloe plants have developed brown patches on their leaves in the last 6 months. Any idea what that might be?
    Thanks
    Phil

Attached Files:

2. Ruffy1

Ruffy1 New Member

I had this just happen to mine also, once, in a window in the winter, frost bite I think,
    and just last week from too much water I suppose do to a heavy watering for pups, it seems to be getting greener and not so soft like rotten.

3. metalray

metalray Member

Hi,
    I have attached a new photo. There has been no improvement :/

Attached Files:

4. Indignation

Indignation New Member

This happened to mine too! In the end I worked out I wasn't watering enough so when I started to sort that out the leaves went green... that is the NEWER leaves, the ones which already had the brown dots were permanently marked. Eventually the new growth replaced the old and when it didn't look too odd I removed the leaves with the brown dots.

5. TheScarletPrince

TheScarletPrince Member

We have a nice big green aloe we keep outside. The only time it turned brown was in the winter when we watered it with cold water.
    I'm pretty sure this has to do with temperature or over-watering, only water the aloe when the dirt is completely dry (it shouldn't be moist all the time).
    Sit it out in the sun (not in the shade) and let it warm up and it should return to normal.
    You might also want to take it out of its pot and check the rootball, it might need trimmed or placed into a larger pot.

6. metalray

metalray Member

Hi,
    Thanks for that. I will check the roots. I think re-potting is needed anyway.
    The aloe is out in the light right now. Its a warm summer here in Germany.
    I do water the plant rarely.