Aloe Vera - General Questions

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by morgy8407, Oct 22, 2007.

1. morgy8407

morgy8407 Member

I bought an aloe vera plant this past summer to aid through some tough summer days (sunburn). I knew not to water it too much, and have left it fairly dry. When I checked on it today, i touched a leaf which was loose. When I investigated further, it seems my aloe vera does not have much of a root system, and easily lifted from the soil. The leaves closest to the soil seemed rotted where they attach to the plant, and easily separated. The plant is however, growing new leaves, (approx. 5 new since i got it). Am I doing something wrong or are the leaves that have come off just being shed naturally, and why does it not have much of a root system?

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

I would appear that it was kept too dry and the roots dried up. This actually happens in their natural habitat, as well.

What to do about it?

1. A very loose, well-draining soil mix will allow proper root transpiration.
    2. During the summer, it's growth period...water it. Succulent plants, during their active growth period, will be very "thirsty"...water them. However, you will need the proper soil mix, as mentioned above, to keep the roots from rotting. The roots need to be soaked, then allowed to dry before the next watering. The quicker this cycle can repeat itself, the better...so the soil must dry out within a day or two...any more and you risk the root system.
    3. This spring, as it comes out of its winter dormancy, repot and dust the remaining roots with rooting hormone.