Alocasia suddenly dying, what do I do?

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Anastasija Ivanovic, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Anastasija Ivanovic

Anastasija Ivanovic New Member

This plant has growing like crazy, since I got it. I think 3 fully grown new leaves in the time I've had it. There's even a tiny little baby growing at the bottom. Suddenly, two of the mature leaves turned brown and drooped, and when I touched it to inspect, it came right off. Some of the mature leaves now have some spots/browning as well. The soil is damp, and I only water it when it dries out, which I've been doing for a while now and the plant has been super happy until now.

Any advice? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

How long have you had it? Long enough to be aware that mature leaves do die? It's sort of like your hair - old hairs fall out, new ones come in. If these are the first leaves to go, then I'd say not to worry, as long as the new leaves look good.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I suggest a review of the cultivation information for this plant near the end of the following article: Alocasia Amazonica (not a species), Alocasia x amazonica, Alocasia mortefontanensis André, Alocasia Poly, not 'Polly', Exotic Rainforest rare tropical plants.

Allowing the soil to dry out does not appear to be the best for the plant. In addition, according to the following article, this plant will go dormant if the soil is allowed to dry out completely: Secrets of Alocasia Amazonica Care: Perhaps that is what is happening to your plant.

4. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Junglekeeper I especially agree with the part of that article which says: "Situating your plant in an area with proper lighting should be the single most important concern that you need to take care of". This plant above really looks to me like it needs more light.

5. Anastasija Ivanovic

Anastasija Ivanovic New Member

Thanks everyone! I think Junglekeeper and Tom were right in needing more light. I moved him into a brighter spot, and kept him well hydrated, and he seems to be recovering. Thanks for the info. The rest of the leaves fell off (except for 1) within a week of me posting, but the one left behind seems to be much happier now, so hopefully it recovers.