Alocasia seedlings at 6 weeks +

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by trikus, Dec 4, 2007.

1. trikus

trikus Active Member

Here are my little babies from seed set on one of my Alocasia x Calidora plants .
    Looks like I might have one diferent one in there , it has very tiny narrow leaves .

Attached Files:

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Nice one Mick!!!
    Yeah that narrow leaf one looks great.
    I don't know what I did wrong, I only have one sprout, and I don't even know if that is an Alocasia. I'll send you a picture later...

Ed

3. trikus

trikus Active Member

I am hoping for something like the 'Pixies Teardrops' pictured on LariAnns web site , it was a seedling from the same cross that produced A.x calidora . Some seeds that I had sown the same day that I posted yours are just appearing , they were the seeds I was going to send you , but I picked the fresh ones that were ready instead . So do not give up yet .
    Lunch time ..

4. edleigh7

Thanks for the encouragement mate, I was starting to lose hope. Enjoy lunch...

5. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

That narrow-leaved one looks like it could become a Pixie. My Pixies started out looking much like that one. No two Pixies are alike, so if it is a Pixie, yours will be unique. I had at least two that were similar to yours. I look forward to seeing how it grows.

One thing about Pixies; they don't grow nearly as fast as the "normal" ones, so you don't want it crowded out by those other seedlings as they grow.

6. trikus

trikus Active Member

Thanks very much for the hint LariAnn, I will prick out the Pixie when I see some roots coming out the bottom of the pot . I have sent Kate some seeds of these seeds as well , and we were wondering what to call these seedlings if we were to sell some .. cannot use your name as they are not the same cross . Could call them calidora F2 , or ozecalidora , or Alocasia 'Trikus'.
    Magda Szubanski , who played the wife in 'Babe' the movie about the sheep pig .. has done some great comedy roles , and one of my favourite characters was here Pixie Anne Wheatly the celebrity sports commentator , I may name one after her if I can get it to grow to maturity .

7. edleigh7

Pixie Anne Wheatley was so funny Mick, that would be a good name LOL

Ed