Alocasia rot, help needed!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by jtcalinisan, Jun 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. jtcalinisan

jtcalinisan New Member

Hello, I'm Jared, a new member here and looking for some help.

I recently got an alocasia and noticed one of the leaves started to droop. I assumed it was root rot, but I checked the roots and they look white and healthy. I cut away as much of the rotten plant stalk as possible but there is still some rotten flesh that goes into the base of the plant and inbetween (see pictures).

Will the rotten fleshy parts of the plant 'infect' the rest of the plant? Do I need to check deeper within the plant for rot? Is there anything else I can do to stop further rotting?

I really appreciate any help, thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I imagine keeping the section where the rot occurred as dry as possible will help. The plant otherwise looks healthy. What are the growing conditions indoors (sunlight regime)?

3. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Hi Jared. Nice Alocasia! Regal Shield?
    Any fast-growing big-leaved plant coming from ideal grower conditions to our lower-light, lower-humidity homes are going to have an initial setback. Hopefully not, but it would not be uncommon to have several leaves die back in the transition. With plants like these as houseplants, the solution to almost every problem is just more sun & humidity. Just focus on the very newest leaves. Once you get it's new-leaf engine fired up and cranking them out, you'll be home free. I would repot asap with coco or peat based mixed with a good amount of organics and without bark/wood (at any hydroponics shop). If your light is bright, I'd fertilize lightly almost every watering with a full-spectrum soluble fertilizer like Dyna-Gro, and just grow your way out of any problems. Normally you would never fertilize a newly repotted houseplant. This one is an exception. :)