Alocasia and Colocasia started rooting from the sides

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by bullseye, Apr 13, 2008.

1. bullseye

bullseye Active Member

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Both genera can reproduce that way. I can't tell from your photo but this time of year it would be a good thing to get them back in the soil. If LariAnn happens along she will know for certain.

3. trikus

trikus Active Member

Often a mature plant will rot at the base and fall over , only to root all along the length of the rhizome . The new growth will easily bend and multiple eyes along the trunk will sprout .

4. bullseye

bullseye Active Member

I think you 2 misunderstood what am trying to say? The pics are of the tubers I bought, they have since been planted 3 weeks ago, and today I was curious to find out what is going in the pots.

I didn't dig them out, I just looked around the soil, and saw the roots forming, as well as eyes on the side of the tubers.

5. trikus

trikus Active Member

YES you can expect foliage very soon .. but for a bushy look , try planting the tuber on its side for multiple growth points .. imagine 10 plants in the pot !!

6. bullseye

bullseye Active Member

Trikus,

Are you saying it's OK for me to dig up the tubers as they are now, and plant them on their sides in the same pot, even though they are going to be eventually planted in the ground when the weather warms up?

I must say am quite happy to be seeing these "eyes" and "roots", as this is my 1st year trying these aroids out. I can't wait to see it on the front lawn as a conversation piece