Agria

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by Gardenlover, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Gardenlover

Gardenlover Active Member

Anyone here try this grape anything to note on it...
    How hardy is it...can it thrive in zone 6?

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

From the Y2K wine list:

Agria: Hungarian red wine variety with deeply colored flesh, released in 1985, with complex parentage of Bikavar 8 (resulting from a Teinturier x Kadarka cross) and Gardonyi G, the offspring of a Malbec x Perle de Csaba cross. Widely grown in Hungary and other Eastern European countries where it is most commonly used as a color-enhancing blend wine with Blauburgunder or to increase color intensity in wine blends such as "Egri Bikavar". Also grown on small acreages in British Columbia, Canada, where it has achieved some success as a varietal wine with flavors claimed to have a resemblance to wines made with certain Pinot Noir clones. Having high vigor growth, training to a double separated vertical spur-pruned cordon is recommended in cool climate regions. Normally ripens in early September with good sugar content.

Other info has it hardy to US zone 5.

Ralph

3. boizeau

boizeau Member

Agria is a beautiful vine, intense fall leaf color, intense pigment in the fruit as well, very dark and inky. The wine is rich and has some body. Ripens well in Most of Western WA. Vigor at my site is low, and the vines next to it grow very well, so I do not think it is a vigorous vine.... quite the opposite.
    I would suggest spacing them at 6 foot spacing max.