Agava cactus help

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by osippi, Jul 12, 2006.

1. osippi

osippi Active Member

Hiya,
    A friend of my mother's has an Agava cactus they're going to bring over today. I've never taken care of an Agava cactus, so they're kind of new to me. I can't seem to find much information on the internet, other then they're commonly used to make Tequila.

All I need is the basic information, like what size pots are best, what's their temperature tolerences, etc.

Thanks!
    Lakota

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

To clarify, Agave (not Agava) and cactus are two distinct plants. Assuming you have an Agave, (there are over 300 species of them) you can be certain soil drainage is paramount. Sun and warm temps are required for good health and growth of an Agave. These are drought tollerant but during prolonged drought may show signs of stress, and supplimental watering will help.
    If by chance you have a cactus, the cultural requirments are basically the same as it is for Agave.

Cheers, LPN.

3. osippi

osippi Active Member

Ahhhh, okay, I see. I suppose that's why I couldn't find anything on the internet about Agava cacti. :-P

Alright, seems easy enough. What about propagation? The baby they gave me is from one huge Agave they took a cutting from, atleast that's what they told me. When this one gets older I'd like to get some pups from it, but I want to actually do it right the first time. :-P

Thanks so much!
    Lakota

EDIT: I forgot to ask, are Agave's succulents then?

4. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Yes it's a succulent, but so are cacti... confused? "succulent" means that the plant stores water in some part of it's body (roots, stem [cacti], or leaves [agave]). As for pups, just take good care of it and wait.

M.

5. classickerrie

classickerrie Member

Isn't Agave that plant that you extract the juice from and it acts like an opiate or something like that? I think they have a agave bar in Hawaii.
    K.D.

6. smivies

smivies Active Member

Agave's have a very wide range of domestic, food, & medicinal uses but not narcotic properties. I think they call it the Agave Bar because it's a cool name for a joint that serves Tequila.

Uses
    - fibre (sisal)
    - needles (spines)
    - soap (leaves)
    - roof thatch (flowering stems)
    - syrup & mescal (fermented)
    - edible vegetable (young leaves, heart, & young flowering stem)
    - sap has antispetic, diuretic, & laxative properties

7. classickerrie

classickerrie Member

Perhaps I am thinking of another cactus. I know that there is one that has a narcotic type effect to it, when the juice is extracted. There is a place in Hawaii where they serve it. The people sit in there and get high on this juice. I don't remember the name of it, but I am sure it was a cactus-type plant. Anyway, don't own one, just a thought I remembered.

8. Davidm

Davidm Active Member 10 Years

Peyote,I beleive, is what you are thinking of.Used by the American Indians and old hippies.:)

9. cactus6103

cactus6103 Member

I have what is known as “Agave palmeri”. This plant is cold hardy down to 15 degrees. I have mine planted outside in the flower garden. Plenty of sun and no other special attention. Grows nicely here in my North Carolina yard. Red