Identification: African Violet family but what name

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by CdnPlantCrazy, Mar 22, 2007.

1. CdnPlantCrazy

CdnPlantCrazy Member

I have had this plant for over 5 years and it has been quite a delight. Not fast growing and does get little blue flowers (somewhat insignificant in size though). I had seen a diagram of this in a "Plant Expert" paperback but that was years ago.

Can anyone give me a specific name for this so I can get information for propogation? If you live in Canada, I would be willing to send you a successful offspring if you wish. Please help.

Attached Files:

2. Megami

Megami Active Member 10 Years

It's very pretty! I'm sorry I don't know the name, but I can offer some advice for propagating Gesneriads. I would try a leaf cutting, just take a leaf and put it in moist potting soil, a plant will develop at the base of the leaf. Keep the humidity high.

Good luck!

3. CdnPlantCrazy

CdnPlantCrazy Member

Thank you for your response. Leaf cuttings will be interesting as the leaves are about 4-6 inches long and 2-3 inches wide.

Thank you again.

4. Megami

You can cut the leaf into sections and propagate many plants from just one leaf :)

Pick a leaf that's in it's "prime", not young but not old.

Here is some more information on how to do leaf cutting:

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Learning/publications/pubs/garden0501/cuttings_c.asp

The plant used in this example is Streptocarpus, which is also a Gesneriad.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes! Gesneriads are one of my favorites!

Attached Files:

5. CdnPlantCrazy

CdnPlantCrazy Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Where do you live? Would you like any successes?

Krista Godfrey
    Surrey, BC
    Canada

6. Megami

Sure if they propagate I'd love one :)

I will email the photos of your plant to some people I know who are Gesneriad experts and see if we can get a species name.

I'm in New West.

Meighan

7. CdnPlantCrazy

CdnPlantCrazy Member

Meighan

Awesome. Be delighted to.

I live in Newton area. My home phone # is 778--------- if you would like it.

Thanks so much again.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2007
  8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi Krista,

It's probably better if you sent your phone number to Meighan using the private messaging system. Just click on Megami, and a dropdown will appear with "Send a private message"

Also, if you'd like, I can switch your username so that it isn't an email address - we recommend doing this to cut down on the amount of spam you might receive.

9. CdnPlantCrazy

CdnPlantCrazy Member

Okay, thank you for the information.

Yes let's change my user name. I am a fraternal twin and the younger one. How about Fraternal #2. or CdnPlantCrazy

10. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I went with CdnPlantCrazy - just because a # symbol can sometimes cause difficulties with computers.

11. Megami

So it turns out it's not a Gesneriad (African Violet Family) after all, it's Siderasis fuscata which is in the Commelinaceae (Spiderwort) family. So I'm not sure if the leaf cutting method will work for it, the most common way to propagate Spiderwort is from dividing the rhizomes.

I actually have a relative of your plant growing in my garden, Tradescantia x andersoniana. :)

Meighan

Attached Files:

12. CdnPlantCrazy

CdnPlantCrazy Member

Re: Siderasis fuscata

I found a picture of this exact plant on another website. It is considered difficult and a plant for collectors of rare plants. Would you still like chicks if they do well.

Oh yes, it is to be propogated from stem cuttings in spring/summer. Awesome.

Thank you for your help.

Krista