Aeonium growing

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by BBunker, Dec 1, 2006.

1. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

Here are some pictures of my Aeonium. The first picture was taken in Aug and the other two were taken last week. It is so cool to see the new little growth going on all over the plant. Anyone have any suggestions on how to propagate new plants from this one?

Attached Files:

2. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Is that definitely an aeonium? Looks escheverious to me, but I'm not an expert.

3. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

I don't know if I gave you a species name on this one when you first posted it, but seeing it now, I'd say it's Aeonium decorum 'Variegata'. As for propagating it...if you want to remove some pups to do it...cut off as close to mom as you can. Either set out to grow some roots before potting up or try sticking them in some soil. Just don't water them too much until you see some growth. Either mist them or very light watering.

4. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

I was hoping you would post a reply. No you did not give me an ID, but I found it's twin on a website that listed it as Aeonium decorum variegata. At least it gives me a name to call it.

Each of the pups is on the end of a stalk about 2 to 3 inches long. Do I cut it off where it connects to the mom? Should I wait till spring, or is this the time of year for Aeonium to grow?

5. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

Yes, it you can get some stem with it, that is better. Aeoniums are winter growers (as you can see), so now would be a good time! :)

6. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

This is one of my favorite plants, I think because of the interesting colors, all the new growth, and probably because it was one of the first succulents I bought. I'll try out what you said and see if I can get a new little plant.

The first picture is probably the pup I will try separating from it's mom. The second picture is a closeup of how the plant is growing like crazy all over.

Thankyou again, for all your information. I really appreciate your input.

Attached Files:

7. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

I just realized I already posted the second picture at the first part of this thread. That shows I either really love that photo, or I am getting a little forgetful, or maybe a little of both.

8. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

9. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

Aeonium 'Kiwi' is similar, changing colors through the year. I love them both! That's a great pic of it at the link you gave! I don't blame you posting the same pic twice. Twice as nice!! :)

10. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

I have what the nursery tagged an Aeonium Haworthii "Kiwi". I don't think it is one though because I have in almost full sun and it is still as dark green as ever. I will have to post you a photo of it and you can tell me what you think. (I am at a different computer and don't have any of my photos on this hard drive.)

I have a question concerning the pup I separated from my Aeonium. This is going to sound really stupid, but I have to ask. The stalk that is attached to the pup, do I stick that in the ground or do I just lay the pup directly on the ground. (You can definitely tell I am a beginner!)

11. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

Here is the little plant the was tagged Aeonium Haworthii "Kiwi". What do you think?

Attached Files:

12. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

Aeonium 'Kiwi' is a hybrid of A. percarneum (some list as percaneum). Mine is in green form right now, but will start coloring up around Feb, as in this pic:
    [​IMG]
    I know I have other pix, but I'm pressed for time right now, so won't go looking for them.

My wise boss once told me: "The only stupid question is the one not asked."
    Yes, stick the stem in the soil. You can leave it out to callous the cut end, if you like & it may start to grow aerial roots. If you just laid it on the ground, it might root eventually, but would take a lot longer. :)

13. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

You must've posted your pic while I was composing mine! :D

That plant looks like Aeonium haworthii to me. It has a bluegreen look to it. If it does change colors, let me know! Ha! Then, I could be wrong!

14. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

What a beautiful plant! Great photo! I sure hope that, come February, my plant will look like that. You said yours is green right now. I haven't had succulents long enough to know that they will change color throughout the year. Succulents are so great!