Acer truncatum Lifespan

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Metro Maples, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Metro Maples

Metro Maples Member Maple Society

Does anyone know how long Acer truncatum lives in the wild or cultivated parts of China?

2. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Hmm...don't know that but wait....I'm getting input , some feelings. I'm trying to connect...with your mind...your favorite red, upright Acer palmatum is...yes, yes...'Twombly's Red Sentinel'. Pretty impressive, huh?
    Most people don't know I'm psychic, many think I'm more psycho.
    Metro Maples, welcome to the forum.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2005
  3. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Records: 75’ tall in the wild; 72’ X 5’ 3”, Birr Castle, County Offaly, Ireland (1986;pl. 1938); 56’ X 7’ 4” X 48’, Morris Arboretum, PA (1980).
    Jacobson, Arthur Lee. North American Landscape Trees (1996).

The website of several U.S. universities list them as slow-growing, ultimately to about 20 feet; one lists it as having an "intermediate" life-span. In the Maple Photo Gallery, you mentioned that you have several specimens over 20 feet, so yours are rather large for U.S. specimens. However, you mentioned that they "have mega blooms this spring ... much brighter than the red blooms" on Acer rubrum. I read this to say that they are red, so I wonder if you could post some photographs there when you have the opportunity. Thank-you in advance. Both of the following sources list the flowers on Acer truncatum as yellowish-green:
    Harris, James. The Gardener’s Guide to Growing Maples (2000);
    [FONT=&quot]Van Gelderen, D.M. et al. Maples of the World (1994).
    The first describes the flowers as produced in erect corymbs, the second as appearing after the leaves in May.

[/FONT]

4. Metro Maples

Actually the blooms are bright yellow with some petals being white. I don't remember seeing any white before so this may be from my wacky weather that I've had. They are brighter than Acer rubrum mainly because yellow is just a brighter and more noticeable color than red. Acer truncatum grows very fast for me in my very sandy soil and long hot growing season. They put out new growth from April all the way until the end of August. Not sure how big they will get.

5. Metro Maples

The blooms on some were out a full 10 days before the leaves and were quite attractive. More common for me is blooms that are quickly followed by leaves.