Acer platanoides 'Drummondii'

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by whis4ey, Jul 17, 2007.

1. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

These photographs from my own garden
    This plant can revert so all green leaves should be speedily removed ....

Attached Files:

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Re: Acer Platanoides 'Drumundii'

ohh my favorite (or one my favorite,for this maple i go to Tuscany 180Km to Rome with my car and i bouth this beautiful maple 3,5m high ,180 Km with the rear doors of my car open...)

Attached Files:

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

If I had one, I'd be doing my best to encourage it to revert . . . prune out the diseased foliage with yellow edges ;-)

4. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Whiskey,

this is a most moody cultivar and it is known for not being stable!!!
    Mine, in dappled shade, 4-5 m. high, has a great deal of variability. Last year it was almost all white even though it greened out a bit at the end of the summer. This year it has shown no variegation at all, all green.Two years ago it was the same almost all green.
    I do not remove anything since the branches are too high.And I am not sure that those 'reverted' branches will not become variegated later (like with Higasayama)

Gomero

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I have 2 of these, they seem stable enough. The appearance is like Whiskey's. True the reputation is not for stability! Mine are in full sun (not that we've had any this year), and I wonder if that is a factor. One does have a couple of all green leaves this year, I've got to get a ladder up to the spot.

Gomero I don't think it will behave like Higasa yama, unfortunately.

-E

6. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

A major part of my tree reverted to green and had retained that all green colour for maybe 3 years, so I doubt very much if it had any intention to change back into its 'diseased' state (Michael .. you are something else :))
    A strong wind broke away a major bough this year and solved my problem for me ... the whole bough had to be removed
    The tree now looks a little odd, but I will be trying to avoid any more 'greening up'
    I think the leaves look very classy
    I recall the very same thing happening to a sycamore some years ago which tree has now grown on and shaped itself particularly well
    Here's hoping Drummondii will do the same for me

7. Gomero

OK Emery and Sam, RdV taken for next Spring to see if my Drumondii (all green this year)
    shows any variegation, you'll have a (French) beer if you are right.

Gomero

8. prairiestyle

prairiestyle Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Gomero, how did the tree leaf out this year?

I saw a few for sale this spring but didn't buy one... though now I'm thinking it would be a nice addition.

9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Most plantings seen here revert aggressively. Stable specimens of any significant size are the exception. I would definitely not leave any green branches that appear in place, based on what I have seen here you will soon end up with having to cut most of the crown away if delaying removal of reversions for even a few years.

10. mross9395

mross9395 Member

I had my Summerland BC garden updated by a landscaper and an Acer Plantanoides Drummondii was planted in the corner of a perennial garden about 10 feet from my stamped concrete driveway. I have 2 concerns,
    - half the trees branches have already reverted to green (see pics -sorry they are rotated, I tried to fix but couldn't) - is it too late to prune them now? If I do, half the tree will be gone. I don't really want to keep pruning every year and fight a losing battle to keep the variagation :(
    - I read that it has a shallow root system - will it be a problem for my driveway? and what about my perennial bed underneath it - will the plants be happy?

I'm prepared to move the tree to another location and plant something more suitable if this forum advises. If you do, what would you plant instead? I want a smallish tree that makes a statement at the driveway entrance but that I can plant perennials beneath.
    Many thanks Meggie

Attached Files:

11. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

i suggest Acer campestre Carnival or Pulvurentum:)

12. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

It's difficult to see whether all the leaves on the branch are green or only some. Before taking the branch off, I'd strip off the (green) leaves and see what comes back in the place. But if the branch has only green, you have no choice but to take it off, or take the whole thing out and start again. Personally I don't think the campestre cultivars will do as well with full sun.

I don't know about the roots but would suspect it will behave like any Norway maple. Since they're widely used as street trees, guessing you'd be OK.

My drummondiis are still unreverted. Gomero, who buys the beer? ;)

13. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The appeal and prevalence of Norway maple is that it is a handsome tree easily grown in cold climates. Too easily grown in many areas, where amazing infestations are seen on undeveloped lands in and near cities. Otherwise it is a large-growing, quite dominating tree that will let little grow beneath it in not very much time and - in our region - is liable to accumulate aphids that make it look as though oiled during summer, with attendant sooty mold fungus forming on any static objects beneath it.

14. Gomero

I reckon I will have to do it myself ;-)).
    My drummondii never displayed any variegation again and was removed many years ago.

Gomero