Acer pentaphyllum

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by mendocinomaples, Aug 7, 2005.

1. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

the trunk is small again :)the bamboo supports there are because i prefere grwon this maple like tree form with one trunk and not like shrub form

2. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Maf,

I have one in the ground (and 12+ in pots) which is quite young (about 1.5-2 m). It took the terrible (over here) cold wave of February 2012. The temperature dipped to -13°C and, what was worse, did not go above freezing for 2 weeks in a row. The pentaphyllum was not protected at all and showed no damage whatsoever. On the other hand my oblongum, also in the ground, was killed in spite of the protection.

Therefore my conclusion is that A. pentaphyllum is cold hardy to, at least -13°C, and can take weeks of frozen ground.

Gomero

3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Gomero,

Good info to know, thanks. The more we share the more we can build up a true picture of the hardiness of A. pentaphyllum. I imagine that you are getting fairly close to the killing temperature at -13°c. I am not sure if Mr Buchholz' experience was with in ground or potted specimens, and maybe he used the figure he did because it was the USDA hardiness zone 8 boundary and that was the coldest zone he could recommend the species for. Zone 7 is down to -17.8°c which is quite a difference.

That cold spell in February 2012 was the same one that likely killed around half of my trees. They were all outside in pots so would be more sensitive to cold than in-ground trees, but even then it was generally the small and weak plants that perished. This year, which wasn't as cold a winter but was a record cold spring, I appear to have lost an additional two, one of which was small, leaving 5 healthy trees. I really need to get them repotted and moved into more sun!

4. Erwin Lin

Erwin Lin New Member

My beautiful acer pentaphyllum in the back terrace.

Attached Files:

5. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have had mine now through two winters. The winter before last just about killed it but this winter was easy on it and now it is thriving.

Attached Files:

6. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I found some helpful information on how Acer pentaphyllum can be propagated in the Flora wonder blog:

"Acer pentaphyllum can be propagated from seed, by rooted cuttings in summer, and curiously, by grafting onto Acer rubrum rootstock, and I imagine other Acer species as well."

http://florawonder.blogspot.com/2012/07/summer

Further details from florawonder blog:
    "Acer pentaphyllum, a species from China which is endangered. You seldom find it in plant collections as it is not very winter hardy. But it looks good today in our protective greenhouse, since it only begins to leaf-out the first of June.
    Acer.pentaphyllum.3.jpg
    Acer pentaphyllum in July

Acer.pentaphyllum.6.jpg
    Acer pentaphyllum in the fall

Apparently, the first tree in America was planted in the Strybing Arboretum in San Francisco. When it failed to produce new growth one spring, it was put on the to-dump worklist. By the time the workers got around to the task, new growth had begun, and so it was fortunately saved. At one time there were more growing at my nursery than what was left in China.

Acer pentaphyllum can be propagated from seed, by rooted cuttings in summer, and curiously, by grafting onto Acer rubrum rootstock, and I imagine other Acer species as well."

http://florawonder.blogspot.com/2012/07/summer

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    AlainK likes this.
  7. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Here is some information from Flora China. May be more details than most want to know but the like minded detail oriented maple geeks out there may appreciate the detailed description.

Acer pentaphyllum
    五小叶槭

W020160713415078884912.jpg

Leaves of Acer pentaphyllum

W020160713415078888395.jpg

Flowers of Acer pentaphyllum

W020160713415078895741.jpg

Flowers Acer pentaphyllum

[​IMG]
    Seeds (picture from 中林林业)

Description from Flora of China
    Trees to 10 m tall, andromonoecious. Branchlets brown, widely spreading or slightly pendulous; buds imbricate, purplish. Leaves deciduous; petiole brownish yellow, 6-8 cm, glabrous; leaf blade subleathery, abaxially white glaucous, adaxially dark green and glabrous; leaflets (4 or)5(-7); petiolules 5-8 mm, glabrous; leaflet blades 5-8 × 1.5-2 cm, narrowly lanceolate or lanceolate, midvein prominent abaxially, slightly impressed adaxially, veins slightly raised abaxially, base cuneate or broadly cuneate, apex ± obtuse or ± obtuse-acuminate. Inflorescence corymbose, glabrous. Pedicel 1-2 cm, slender, glabrous. Petals 5. Stamens 8; filaments glabrous. Disk glabrous, extrastaminal. Ovary sparsely pubescent. Nutlets ca. 5 mm in diam., strongly convex, puberulent; wing including nutlet 2.3-2.5 cm × ca. 8 mm, wings spreading at 90°. Fl. Apr, fr. Sep.

This is a very rare, endangered species.

● Mixed forests, valleys; 2300-2900 m. SW Sichuan.

Acer pentaphyllum in Chinese Plant Names @ efloras.org

Illustration
    (Leaf illustration as compared to Acer griseum)
    Illustration: Acer pentaphyllum

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  8. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

The history of Acer pentaphyllum (referred to as "five leaflets Acer" or "five leaflets" in the information below) by Wang Kang, pH.D
    Botany, Senior Engineer, Beijing Botanical Garden Science Center Director. Has graduated from Anhui Agricultural University, Beijing Forestry University and the Chinese Academy of Sciences Institute of Botany.

Translated from Chinese

4ccc6a76aba61a2340b813.jpg
    Five Leaf Acer New Leaves

In my heart, Acer pentaphyllum out of more than 150 kinds of maple trees is the most beautiful, the most amazing species. Because of the unique claw-like leaves and colorful autumn colors, five leaflets Acer has become the world's horticulturalists object of concern.

The five leaflets (Acer pentaphyllum) only live in the narrow valleys of the Yalong River in the southwestern part of Sichuan. At present, only four species are found. They are mainly distributed in Kangding County, Yajiang County, Jiulong County and Muli County, Sichuan Province. More than 600 trees. Among them, Yajiang County, is the largest population with more than 200.

In the 1930s, Austrian-American naturalist Joseph Locke was dispatched and funded by the National Geographic Society, the US Department of Agriculture and the Arroud Arboretum of Harvard University to collect animal and plant specimens from western China. In 1929, he led the team in the vicinity of the Yalong River found the leaves of the strange five leaflets. Locke described the specimen as follows: "tree height of about 10 meters, the leaves have five or seven narrow leaves, usually 7 to 10 cm long, less than 1 cm wide.

After careful observation, Locke felt that there was significant difference between this species and other Acer plants, and concluded that this is a never recorded species.

The collected specimens were sent to Europe. In 1931, the German botanist Ludwig Dillers formally named it. November 2, 1937, China's botanist Professor Yu Dejun in Sichuan Muli County, collected mature seeds of the five leaf maple (Acer pentaphyllum) and plant specimens, which were taken to the Berlin Botanical Garden and the British Edinburgh Botanical Garden. The Western horticulturists removed some seeds from the specimens to cultivate, and succeeded in germinating a few five leaflets (Acer pentaphyllum) saplings.

By 1937, after collecting the specimens from nature the five leaflets (Acer pentaphyllum) disappeared, almost disappearing without a trace, and were never seen again. For several years, domestic and foreign botanists believe that five leaflets were extinct. Until June 24, 1974, the Chengdu Institute of Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences for cross-mountain plant inspection, located in the west of Gongga Mountain in Sichuan Jiulong County, the eastern part of the Yalong River Jiulong River, collected five leaf maple specimens (Acer pentaphyllum) by accident. This discovery, after the disappearance of nearly half a century, immediately got the attention of domestic and foreign botanical and horticultural circles.

In the summer of 1987, the second edition of the Chinese Plant Red Book was written, and five leaflets (Acer pentaphyllum) were included in the catalog. The editorial board would assign the task of investigating the five small leaf maple to the Chengdu Institute of Biology India Pu Po researcher. Since then, the Indian researcher launched a three-year "hide and seek" game, with the five leaflets Acer, that has a cross-century Romance.

In 1982, shortly after the appearance of the five leaflets maple (Acer pentaphyllum), with a blink of an eye, disappeared again without a trace. The predecessors of the specimen did not have detailed location information of the collection, since back then the field workers did not have GPS locators, therefore, it was very difficult for the Indian researcher to find the original location.

One day in May 1988, after repeated disappointment and ready to give up, the Indian researcher accidentally came across an old Tibetan man that was using branches of the five leaflets maple to shade his piglets. The Indian researcher thought these branches look so familiar: one year old twigs purple, glabrous, two year old branches grayish brown, light-colored lenticels; leaves opposite, palmately; leaflets 5 to 7, narrowly lance like lobes; He was surprised when the Tibetan man said ... this is not Hard to find the five leaflets tree? God! Really!, said the Indian researcher. With the direction and guidance of the Tibetan elderly, the Indian researcher finally found the Jiulong County five leaf leaf maple population.

The survey shows that currently their is a small number of Acer negundo which the wild distribution is very small. The hope is that the wild populations of Acer negundo can be rescued, and the ex situ conservation and in situ conservation work will be carried out quickly to research the endangered and implement a conservation strategy of Acer negundo. In addition, the five leaflets increase in notoriety and potential ornamental value is very likely to make this plant a conservation success and help eliminate the risk of an endangered fate.

However, the reality today is always so cruel, this plant was discovered by humans less than 100 years, the human understanding of it has not yet begun, it is possible that in less than 10 years time, it could suffer a sudden disaster.

Yalong River is the largest tributary of the Jinsha River, the abundant water is a very rich natural resource. In order to develop such a rich water resource, a huge hydropower project on the Yalong River is in full swing. According to the resent disclosure of information, a total of 22 dams are planned along the Yalong River, in an attempt to tame the surging river level.

The largest number of Acer pentaphyllum is the Yajiang population. This population will interfere with the first and second hydropower stations in planned hydropower project. In the near future, when the two dams begin to accumulate water, the vast majority of these plants will be submerged under water, and this is the real disaster. Even the populations located in the higher elevations, above the projected water level, will be in conflict with the proposed road construction for the reservoir, so the survival opportunities are slim.

The 22 dams not only affect the five largest known populations of the species, but will also have a great influence on the other three remaining populations.

Throughout the history of the five leaflets Acer, we can not help but to worry about it. How to save five leaflets, its such a beautiful wizard? This is an abnormal test of the wisdom of the problem ... ...

(Author: Wang Kangwen
    Translated (poorly) by JT1

我爱五小叶槭的珍贵美丽

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  9. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Many thanks for this history !

10. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

It's interesting to me how pentaphyllum leafs out differently depending on the plant. Sometimes very late. The grafted plant in the first photo has been fully out since early May. The second plant, a gift from a fellow enthusiast and older than my seedlings, came out around the beginning of June. The 3rd is getting going, while the last 2 plants have barely opened buds on 16 June! The last 3 are all plants from the same seed batch. The final pic is fall color on the grafted plant in 2015.

Attached Files:

11. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

From the Maple Society seed exchange, seeds sown in 2019. At first, incorrectly labelled :

August 2019 :

acer-penta_190803a.jpg

March 28th, 2020. The smaller one didn't look too good :

acer-penta_200328a.jpg

Today, Aug. 05th. The tall one was placed under a branch of the Vitex you can see in the background and the top bent so I put a stake. It's now 113 cm, 1m if you take away the height of the pot ! The smaller one looks healthy now although not as vigorous as his brother.

acer-penta_200805a.jpg

How is the 3rd one doing, E. ?

Acerholic likes this.
  12. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@AlainK, amazing growth Alain. That looks a keeper!!

13. AlainK

When I repotted it, I added the fertilizer I use for my tomatoes. It's labelled "organic" and contains a high proportion of K (potasssium, potash). The label says it helps to fight diseases and drought. I thought "Let's try !" :

engrais.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  14. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Alain, now that's a good tip to have a go at Alain.

15. emery

Those are looking amazing @AlainK . The old tomato food... :)

Here's the one you sent me, no tomatoes so just chugging along. What is the substrate? I have trouble with substrate for young seedlings, this seems really good.
    IMG_20200805_195807_v1.jpg IMG_20200805_195820_v1.jpg

Eventually I hope to plant this with these other 4 pentaphyllum seedlings in a group. I may have some more this year also, I'd like to get a viable grove in.
    IMG_20200805_200043_v1.jpg IMG_20200805_200001_v1.jpg

16. AlainK

I think it's Akadama + pozzolane + composted pine bark, but I'm not sure. Anyway, glad it survived !

I think that soil mix, substrate really depends where you - and the tree, are. Repot it in your own mix next spring, or better after leaf fall. The Akadama will turn into clay, in a place like Normandy where there can be very wet autumns, that's not so good.

17. AlainK

And I think maybe my last pentaphyllum is not dead... Fingers crossed!

acer-penta_220504a.jpg

maf and emery like this.
  18. AlainK

Acer cappadocicum, and Acer cappadocicum 'Rubrum'. The difference between the two is not that spectacular, at least on mine. The wood is yellow on the regular species, redder on the cultivar, but turns a less conspicuous colour after the leaves are open :

Pictures of both, Feb. 28, and today :

acer-cappadoc_220228a.jpg acer-cappadoc_220504a.jpg acer-cappadoc_220504b.jpg

acer-cappadoc-rubrum_220228a.jpg acer-cappadoc-rubrum_220504a.jpg acer-cappadoc-rubrum_220504b.jpg

19. AlainK

Two cousins, campestre (Platanoidea) and monspessulanum (Monspessulana).

It is said tthey can hybridize (?), but when the petiole of a leaf of this strain of campestre I have in my garden is cut, it yields white sap, which is not the case with monspessulanum.

acerc01_220504a.jpg acerm._220504a.jpg

20. maf

Yours is ahead of mine. This is their first year of spending winter in the greenhouse in the hope of an earlier leaf out. I think the buds are starting to expand, but no green yet
    IMG_20220504_190727.jpg

A couple of seedlings I started indoors two months ago are now living in the greenhouse and doing very well
    IMG_20220504_184202.jpg

21. AlainK

Yeah, that's what I should do, except that I don't have a greenhouse, all my trees spend theit whole life outside...

Maybe next autumn, if it's still alive, I should put it in a kind of closet that gets some light but is not heated.

22. emery

I have a few pentas out now. None of the larger ones though.

I think cappadocicum 'Rubrum' is not a real cultivar, and we should probably write it cappadocicum f. rubrum. It seems that a certain number of seedlings have the (very pretty) form, and I don't think anyone is grafting these. Of course cappadocicum does well from cuttings, I think one I sent you a few years ago was a cutting.

That's a great point about monspessulanum and campestre. We're often told that maples can't hybridize out of section, yet campestre is Platanoidea (and obvious because of the latex) whereas monspessulanum is Section Acer Series Monspessulana. MOW describes Acer x bornmuelleri this way but then warns us it's probably not that at all. Are there any others?

23. AlainK

Penta's back! I thought it was a goner, but it finally leafed out in late May, long after all my other maples, and looks fine now :

acer-penta_220614a.jpg

I really must build a greenhouse or a cold frame of some sort if I want it to survive next winter, I'd hate to lose it...

maf, emery and Acerholic like this.
  24. emery

Yay! always a relief. I have a few little 'uns just starting now. The winter loss rate was probably around 40% in the seedlings. Usually little weak seedlings are the first to go, but this time some that didn't come back were quite chunky, I definitely would have expected them to live. I lost all 6 in the ground, decent sized plants, one a graft. (That horrible moment when you discover huge misshapen sycamore leaves sprouting from the base, and realize it's toast. I won't try another grafted penta.)

I think the ones you sent a couple of years ago are mostly alive.

AlainK likes this.
  25. maf

The three that wintered in the greenhouse are the healthiest they have looked for a few years and definitely quicker than usual to get started - mid May rather than early June. Fully leafed out now and pushing new growth. Absolutely loving full afternoon sun on the hottest day of the year so far. The two seedlings started from old seed indoors in early spring now living outside in full sun and growing well too. Picture of one of the old guard enjoying the sunshine.
    IMG_20220617_140629.jpg

AlainK, Acerholic and D97x7 like this.