Acer Palmatum Seedling doing just fine

Discussion in 'Maples' started by CSL, Aug 14, 2010.

1. CSL

CSL Active Member

Earlier in the year I visited a co workers house because he was looking for suggestions for some trees.

Upon arrival he had a wonderful AP dissectum in his front yard that had was there for the fifty years he had owned the house, and was reasonable in size when he moved in. The trunk was spectacular, so I went inside to have a look.

In the ground underneath this monster were numerous seedlings growing - I dug up two that I found most interesting.

The one below shows pictures I took this morning; this is the second flush of leaves - the first gave up when the mercury soared about four weeks ago.

The leaves push out a copper orange / red / lime and then turn nearly full copper / red before changing to slightly green in the center as the leaves mature. The original 2010 leaves had the same look. The pictures show three sets of leaves (there is a tiny set coming in the center as well) and the color variation of the three.

I am not sure what the fall color will be, but I was told that the parent tree the seedlings were found under turns a gold / orange in the fall.

So what tree does this little plant most remind you of?

I am not sure what it is, but there is something about this tree that I really like...

Best Regards,
    -CSL-

Attached Files: